A good repair shop that can diagnose and install a replacement transmission can be hard to find – especially on short notice. We can help you find a shop that does quality transmission diagnostics and installation for a fair price.
We also include a guide for fair prices for both replacement transmissions and installation labor for the most common transmission models.
How to Save Money:
We try to recommend repair shops more likely to install a remanufactured transmission that you purchase on your own for cost savings. When buying a transmission through a repair shop or dealership, you generally will pay $300 – $800 more.
When buying factory direct, you can save $300 – $800 from what the shop will add as their markup on the transmission. Get a factory direct estimate by text message + email by clicking here.
Questions to ask when calling local repair shops:
Note: Before calling, have your 17-digit VIN# number (from the vehicle dash, door or an insurance card, registration or title) handy.
–Do you install transmissions? Can you quote me a price for installation?
(Check the guide table below for fair labor prices. Labor costs can differ by area.)
–What is your hourly labor rate?
(Typical rates average $75 – $115 per hour)
–Can I have the transmission shipped to your shop for install?
(If you are purchasing directly from a company selling a remanufactured transmission)
Transmission Installation Shop Locator:
Store Locator is loading from Storemapper store locator software…
Reliable Repair Shop Criteria:
The following are recommended criteria to look for when calling around to find the most fair and reliable local repair shop for transmission installation:
- Has been in business for 2 years or more.
- Has a 4.0 or higher Google Reviews and/or Yelp Reviews rating, with no patterns of 1-star reviews.
- Has a Better Business Bureau “B” or higher rating.
- Is willing to install customer supplied transmissions purchased through reputable suppliers.
- Charges a maximum $95/hour labor rate for initial transmission installation and has a warranty hourly rate that is less than retail for warranty repair work.
- Offers transmission replacement labor using established hourly book times (Mitchell, Alldata, Chilton, Motor, etc).
- Has ability to reflash/reprogram using OEM subscriptions for late model 2006+ vehicles (shop equipped with Snap-On Pass-Through Pro II/III, Drewtech CarDAQ-Plus 2, Drewtech RAP, or similar J2534 device)
- Have a repair shop that does excellent transmission diagnostics and installation and want to be recommended? Visit our For Shops page
Fair Replacement Transmission Cost and Labor by Model
Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.
Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission factory direct by email.
Remanufactured Transmission Pricing – Links to Supplier Transmission Prices
|Transmission||Street Smart Transmission||Autozone||Advance Auto Parts||Dealer Retail|
|4L60E / 4L65E||1490||1699||1799||2133|
|4T45E / 4T40E||1370||1440||1499||2644|
|5L40E (Exc. BMW)||1890||2145||2199||3618|
|6T40 / 6T45||2090||2500||2679||2850|
|6T75E / 6T70||2090||2392||2499||2955|
|6L80 / 6L90||2190||2520||2539||2930|
|4R100 / E4OD||1790||1836||1899||3228|
|AX4N / AX4S||1490||1480||1599||2495|
|FNR5 / AWTF-80||1790||2010||2079||2783|
|6F50 / 6F35||2290||2355||2649||3387|
|W5A580 / NAG1||2490||4510||3098||n/a|
More Information by Transmission Type
Where to Buy a Used Transmission
Option 1: Buying through a Local Repair Shop
When you go to your local repair shop, they’ll order a used transmission from a local or out-of-state salvage yard, depending on availability.
Pro Tip: If you are having your used transmission installed at a local repair shop, this option is the most recommended way to buy a used transmission.
The major benefit here is that you will typically have some sort of warranty on both the parts and labor through the repair shop if the one they purchased fails.
Option 2: Buying direct through a Salvage Yard
If you are installing a used transmission yourself, the nationwide search engine most commonly used to find a salvage yard transmission by repair shops and insurance companies is www.car-part.com which is connected to almost every salvage yard in the US.
Car-part.com uses the Hollander interchange system for searching the exact used transmission that will interchange with yours.
Pro Tip: Buy From A Salvage Yard That is Within Driving Distance From You When Possible! Always sort by distance and buy in your local area for the matching used transmission to save on the cost of shipping, if the matching unit is available locally. Also, if you have a warranty situation, it is much more difficult to have a warranty claim resolved if you purchase a used transmission from out of state.
Only licensed salvage yards can list auto parts on car-part.com so you can be assured that the companies listed are actual salvage yards.
Buying a used transmission through a broker / website is not recommended. Most brokers / websites typically use the above www.car-part.com to find you a transmission, then mark up the part by several hundred dollars–charge a brokering fee–and not all online brokers are legitimate or give you the accurate mileage that was on the transmission they are selling. So in the end, you end up paying more for the same thing, at a higher risk of having difficulty if you need a warranty claim.
Pro Tip: Resist the urge to buy a low priced transmission over the Internet that claims low mileage. The risk of a warranty situation is generally not worth any savings of buying a cheap transmission from out of state. You will have little or no recourse if the transmission does not work right. If you prefer to not deal with a salvage yard, buy a used transmission for sale through your local repair shop. Because if you end up having a problem with the transmission (roughly 20-25% chance), buying through your local repair shop will save you the potential headaches of dealing with a third party from out of state who is trying to get a warranty unit from another salvage yard in another state. The repair shop you are buying through typically will already have an established relationship with that salvage yard and will get your situation resolved far easier than through an online broker.
We recommend Street Smart Transmission. Their transmissions carry a 3 year / unlimited miles warranty that covers both parts and labor. Their warranty is nationwide and attached to the VIN so it is transferable with ownership if you decide to sell the vehicle. It also covers both parts and labor for the installation of the replacement transmission.
Watch the Remanufacturing Process
How it Works
Finding a Shop to Install the Remanufactured Transmission
For warranty purposes, you need to find a reliable repair shop. That way, if the replacement transmission doesn’t work properly, the warranty will cover it.
Each step in the remanufacturing process has to be verified by quality control managers before the build can continue. This guarantees uniform, properly functioning transmissions that will exceed the original manufacturer’s specifications. It also allows for a generous warranty that will protect you from transmission repair costs for up to three years.
- Standard coverage: 3 Years / Unlimited Mileage
- Commercial applications: 18 Months / 100,000 Miles
- Warranty is attached to the VIN number and can be transferred if the vehicle is sold
- Coverage is good at any licensed repair shop, anywhere in the United States
- Pays for parts & labor
- Replacement transmission will be shipped immediately upon receipt of a claim
In addition to the exceptional warranty coverage, every transmission is shipped to any business address for free, and core returns are shipped free as well. Between the build quality and the warranty, a our transmissions are literally better than new.
More Information by Make & Model
Max Auto Service Inc
1871 Hertel Ave
Buffalo, NY 14214
Max Auto Service has been offering professional auto repair services to customers in Buffalo, NY and the surrounding areas for over 14 years! We are qualified and experienced in a wide variety of auto repair services from inspections to brakes, no job is too big or too small! We offer high quality, professional and personalized service that you can count on.
747 Kenmore Ave
Buffalo, NY 14223
424 Niagara Falls Blvd
Buffalo, NY 14223
John Sweeney, purchased our current building in 1946 which was in very poor condition. Attached to the rear of the building was a secondary wood frame barn that was demolished. In its’ place Sweeney constructed a concrete block building that currently houses our service bays.
1261 Hertel Ave
Buffalo, NY 14216
Honest, dependable auto repair.
361 Forest Ave Buffalo,
We are a first-class independent auto repair shop with a progressive outlook. Think that cute Brooklyn corner cafe that serves artisan scones opened by a couple of Peace Corp vets with Master’s degrees who remember your name when you stop in. Only with mechanics and punk rock instead.
Grand Prix Garage
1159 Military Rd
Buffalo, NY 14217
We’re the most friendly, honest auto repair team in the area! Come see why no shop is as quick, qualified, or convenient as we are. Our mechanics are highly skilled and have years of experience. Most of all: they love cars and care about yours.
Alliance Transmissions & Total Car Care
3454 Sheridan Dr
Buffalo, NY 14226
At AAMCO of Amherst, we know all vehicle makes and models and have the latest in diagnostic tools and technology. We are your one-stop total Auto car care specialists. Stop in or call for a convenient appointment today!
David’s Star Automotive
(716) 241-4085 303 Hopkins St Buffalo, NY 14220 Website: http://www.buffalovehicleservices.com/ For a reputable auto repair shop in Buffalo, NY, check out David’s Star Automotive. When it comes to dependable, cost-effective vehicle maintenance or repair work, our skilled technicians are able to tackle virtually any task.
Hammond Auto Service & Repair
(716) 427-5942 528 Grant St Buffalo, NY 14213 Website: http://www.hammondsbrakerepairbuffalo.com/ Serving Buffalo, NY since the 1940s, Hammond Auto Repair Service Inc is a fourth-generation, locally owned and operated, auto repair shop that will keep your vehicle running like new. If you have an issue with your vehicle, from engine related issues to nearly anything else under the car, we can help you get back on the road as soon as possible.
Town Tire & Service Center
(716) 876-3798 905 Kenmore Ave Buffalo, NY 14223 Website: http://towntireservice.com/ Town Tire & Service Center of Buffalo, New York specializes in total automotive repair. We offer our customers unique services that focus on their specific auto needs. Town Tire & Service Center has 30 years of experience in the automotive field.
Transmission Shops in Nearby Areas
- Staten Island
New York State Licensing Requirements
New York does not require transmission shops in Buffalo, NY to qualify for a state license, so there is no state standard for competency among transmission repair services. They require only a registration, for which there is no inspection or testing of ability in transmission repair. Likewise, New York has no legal requirement that services for transmission repair in Buffalo, NY first show proof of liability insurance to reimburse you in the event of any damages that might occur during servicing.