We sell remanufactured 4L80E transmissions direct from the factory at wholesale prices. We also offer the best warranties in the industry: A 3 year, unlimited mile, parts and labor, nationwide and transferable, no-hassle warranty.
To get an estimate on a 4L80E, fill out the form below.
Vehicle Compatibility – Makes & Models
|Chevy||Avalanche||All||8.1L / V8||2002-2003 (2WD)|
|Chevrolet Pickup Truck||K1500||4.3L||1991-2000|
|Chevrolet Truck||K3500||6.5L Turbo Diesel||2001-2002|
|Pickup||3500||6.5L Turbo Diesel||2001-2002|
|2500 / 3500 Van||Savana||4.3L||1991-2009|
|AM General||Hummer||H1||6.5L / V8 / Turbo and non||All|
|5.7L / Vortec 5700 / Gas TBI|
|British Jaguar marque||Jaguar||XJS||Daimler Double Six||1993-1997|
About the 4L80E & Common Problems
The 4L80E transmission is a 4-speed automatic gearbox that uses similar architecture as the venerable TH400. One of the biggest differences is the lockup torque converter, and an additional forward gear which served as an overdrive to improve fuel economy. It also had a much stronger 32-spline output shaft, and a Transmission Control Module (TCM) that could learn the driver’s style, then adapt shift points to match.
The strong internal components made this transmission ideally suited for vehicles up to 16,500 lbs GVWR, with a towing capacity of up to 22,000 lbs. For this reason, the 4L80E (the name stands for 4-speed / Longitudinal / 8,000 lbs / Electronic controls) was installed in heavyweights like the Hummer H1, 1991-1997 Bentley Turbo R, and commercial/heavy duty applications of GM trucks, vans and SUVs.
- Erratic Shifting
Since this was an early electronically controlled transmission, many shift problems/Check Engine Lights can be attributed to a failed input/output speed sensor, or throttle position sensor.
- Slipping Between Gears/Failure to Shift
The 4L80E uses a total of 8 solenoids to actuate gear changes, and activate the lockup torque converter. These little plungers are used to control the ATF fluid pressure, and they’re activated by an electric charge that passes through a coil of wire that’s wrapped around the plunger mechanism. If excessive vibrations or an electrical surge causes the solenoid to short out, you’ll start to experience serious problems.
The primary function of automatic transmission fluid is to remove heat from the moving parts inside. If you’re towing/hauling a heavy load and the radiator cooler can’t properly cool the ATF, the transmission will overheat, causing significant damage to the valve body, seals, clutches, bands, and other parts.
Reman 4L80E vs Used 4L80E
If you buy a used 4L80E, you might save some money right now. But think about this: a used transmission comes from a wrecked or abandoned vehicle, and you have no way of knowing the actual mileage or condition. It could have the same problems that you’re trying to fix, or it could have worse problems.
Salvage yards don’t have the capability to perform more than a visual inspection, so you’re most likely getting the gearbox that had the cleanest fluid. They’ll guarantee it for 30-90 days, and if something happens, they’ll give you another used unit free of charge. However, you’ll be responsible for the additional labor/installation charges. Plus, you’ve got to live with the fact that your used 4L80E may fail at any time.
Watch the Remanufacturing Process
Remanufactured 4L80E Transmission Updates and Upgrades
If you want to get the longest service life from your vehicle, purchasing a remanufactured 4L80E from Street Smart Transmission would be your best bet. The following is a list of all the upgrades that happen during the remanufacturing process:
- Remanufactured valve body with system correction and heavy duty recalibration kit to improve fluid pressure control and shift quality
- An upgrade actuator feed limit valve to prevent missed shifts and early failure
- An upgrade 34-element intermediate sprag to increase the holding capability
- 8 Brand new shift solenoids to eliminate future problems
- Each EPC solenoid is tested to ensure that it can provide the correct pressure control
- In pre-1994 4L80E’s, the case connector and vehicle harness pigtail gets updated to address known connection issues
- An upgraded force motor is installed to improve fluid pressure control
- An upgrade pressure regulator is installed to prevent unnecessarily high fluid pressure
- To address a design flaw, the walkout rear case bushing is eliminated to prevent case and output shaft damage
- New bushings are installed to better control internal fluid flow and pressure
- A remanufactured pump with new line bore bushings is installed to prevent leaks and improve fluid flow and durability
- The torque converter is completely remanufactured, then tested for leaks, lock-up function, concentricity, and balance.
- To ensure quality and function prior to shipment, every 4L80E undergoes a thorough road simulation on a dynamometer, using a computerized testing program called C.A.R.S. (Computer Aided Road Simulation)
When you purchase a remanufactured 4L80E from Street Smart Transmission, you can rely on their Product Support Team being just a phone call away. You also get a Nationwide No-Hassle 3-Year/Unlimited Mile Warranty. That means you can travel anywhere in the country, and if anything happens to your transmission, you’ll be covered.
- Coverage lasts for 3-years and the mileage is unlimited
- The warranty is issued to the vehicle’s VIN number, and can be transferred to the new owner if you decide to sell
- A new unit is shipped as soon as the claim is submitted
- Labor costs are covered as long as you have the repairs performed by a licensed shop
Transmissions can be costly to repair. When it fails, you are often asked to spend quite a bit of money to have a problem fixed that you probably don’t understand very well.
We’ll get you an out-the-door price, including shipping, for a replacement remanufactured transmission direct to the shop of your choice.
Ready to Replace Your Transmission?
Complete the form below for an unbeatable price on a replacement remanufactured transmission.