If you are looking for a 4R100 transmission, we sell them direct to you from the factory at some of the best wholesale prices. Our transmissions also come with one of the best warranties that money can buy – 3 year, unlimited mile, labor and parts, nationwide, transferrable, no-hassle warranty – one of the best warranties that is available to consumers.
- Vehicle Compatibility – Makes & Models
- 4R100 Transmission Overview
- How to Improve the Transmission
- Remanufactured 4R100 Transmission Updates and Upgrades
- What’s Included
To get an estimate on a 4R100, fill out the form below.
Vehicle Compatibility – Makes & Models
- 1999–2004 Ford Lightning (F-150 SVT)
- 2002–2003 Ford F-150 Harley-Davidson Edition
- 1999–2003 Ford F-1507700 Series (LEV – Low Emissions Vehicles only)
- 1999–2003 Ford Super Duty
- 1999–2003 Ford Expedition (with 5.4 V-8)
- 2000–2003 Ford Excursion
- 1997–2004 Ford E-Series
4R100 Transmission Overview
The 4R100 was fitted with a power take off (PTO) in 1999 enabling auxiliary equipment to attach to heavy-duty trucks that had the transmission. Following Ford’s naming schemes, the E4OD was renamed to the 4R100.
The 4R100 is a heavy-duty four-speed automatic transmission used in rear-wheel drive trucks that have a 7.3-liter diesel engine. It was introduced in 1999 and quickly phased out after the 2003 model dropped. It was replaced by the 5R110W.
It is rated up to 1,000 foot-pounds of torque, which means it is extremely tough and one of the strongest transmissions on the market. The transmission itself is heavy-duty, but once owners start to add modifications to it, it becomes one of the weak points of the drivetrain.
If you have a truck that needs to carry a heavy load, you can depend on the 4R100, which offers a step 2.71 first gear that is excellent for towing. The overdrive gear ratio inside of the tranny is 0.71, which provides maximum fuel efficiency. The second gear ratio is at a 1.54 and the third is 1:1.
The 4R100 is a computer controlled transmission, which means it provides the ability to use a hand-held controller to customize the transmission, as you see fit. One of the most commonly tuned and customized options is the firmness of the shifts. Many truck owners want each shift to be as smooth as possible.
In addition, you can quickly and easily tune the rpms and line pressure of the transmission. If you want to throw some beefier tires on your truck, you can adjust your transmission settings to account for the larger diameter of the tire.
How to Improve the Transmission
While a hand-held tuner can offer you many of the basic adjustments your truck needs, some truck owners want additional options and the following are some accessories that can help strengthen the 4R100 transmission:
- Shift improver kits are designed to provide you with three options to adjust your transmission. You can adjust the tranny for off-road adventures, towing capabilities, and heavy-duty situations
- To extend the life of the torque converter, owners should choose lockup valve kits
- To help keep the transmission cool, add some extra capacity to it with a deep transmission pan in either aluminum or steel
- If you need your transmission to perform under heavy-duty situations, consider kevlar bands or clutch disks to ensure the transmission can work overtime without a problem
- Add an inline oil filter to ensure that no debris enters the transmission cooler or lines in the event that you experience total tranny failure
- Keep the temperature of the transmission as low as possible with an aftermarket transmission cooler with a built-in electric fan
- Transmission temperature gauge, which can help you monitor the overall temperature of the tranny itself and alert you when the temperature may be reaching that maximum 200 degree mark
- Customize your overall ride with heavy-duty stall converters, hardened pump drive tubes, and some anti-balloon plates
Remanufactured 4R100 Transmission Updates and Upgrades
- New pressure regulator valve, boost valve kit, bypass converter clutch sleeve, along with a plunger eliminate delayed engagement, soft shifting, and shudder
- Updated solenoid clips and EPC solenoid
- Updated 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator pistons to help prevent harsh shifting and premature clutch failure that may occur
- Upgraded spiral local snap ring and staked retainer to eliminate an OE design flaw and premature failure of the clutch
- New overdrive servo pin sleeve is installed in our unique servo modification process with custom bushings and tooling
- Completely remanufactured pump that includes new bore bushings to ensure that your transmission is durable and receives a better flow overall. The new bushings will eliminate any previous leaks that were experienced
- 2001 and newer models feature a 3-4 capacity valve sleeve and an extra thick zinc-coated Super Tough Plate that eliminates cross leaks and plate cracking that is caused by repeated stress from the 2-3 accumulator piston spring retainer
- Complete road simulation using C.A.R.S. (Computer Aided Road Simulation), which is a dynamometer testing program. All transmission are hot and cold tested prior to shipping
- Police, performance, and towing packages include additional valve body modifications, eight-plate direct clutch packs, elevated pressure regulator valve, and other upgrades to increase load capacity and durability
- Fully remanufactured torque converter is tested for lockup, leaks, balance, and concentricity. Upgrades all exceed the OE requirements and eliminate any possibility of premature brushing wear, front seal leaks, and vibration
- Remanufactured valve body comes with a complete system correction and a recalibration kit to improve the pressure control and quality of shift
It is no surprise that transmissions can be very costly to repair, especially if a replacement if required. When you find yourself in this type of a situation, you may be asked to spend a lot of money to fix a problem that you do not completely understand anyways. When you contact us, we will get you an out-the-door price with shipping included on a replacement remanufactured transmission direct to the automotive shop of your choice!
Ready to Replace Your Transmission?
Complete the form below for an unbeatable price on a replacement remanufactured transmission.