A good repair shop that can diagnose and install a replacement transmission can be hard to find – especially on short notice. We can help you find a shop that does quality transmission diagnostics and installation for a fair price.
We also include a guide for fair prices for both replacement transmissions and installation labor for the most common transmission models.
How to Save Money:
We try to recommend repair shops more likely to install a remanufactured transmission that you purchase on your own for cost savings. When buying a transmission through a repair shop or dealership, you generally will pay $300 – $800 more. When buying factory direct, you can save $300 – $800 on the shop’s parts markup. Get a factory direct estimate by text/email by clicking here.
Transmission Installation Shop Locator:
Questions to ask when calling local repair shops:
Note: Before calling, have your 17-digit VIN# number (from the vehicle dash, door or an insurance card, registration or title) handy.
–Do you install transmissions? Can you quote me a price for installation?
(Check the guide table below for fair labor prices. Labor costs can differ by area.)
–What is your hourly labor rate?
(Typical rates average $75 – $115 per hour)
–Can I have the transmission shipped to your shop for install?
(If you are purchasing directly from a company selling a remanufactured transmission)
Reliable Repair Shop Criteria:
The following are recommended criteria to look for when calling around to find the most fair and reliable local repair shop for transmission installation:
- Has been in business for 2 years or more.
- Has a 4.0 or higher Google Reviews and/or Yelp Reviews rating, with no patterns of 1-star reviews.
- Has a Better Business Bureau “B” or higher rating.
- Is willing to install customer supplied transmissions purchased through reputable suppliers.
- Charges a maximum $95/hour labor rate for initial transmission installation and has a warranty hourly rate that is less than retail for warranty repair work.
- Offers transmission replacement labor using established hourly book times (Mitchell, Alldata, Chilton, Motor, etc).
- Has ability to reflash/reprogram using OEM subscriptions for late model 2006+ vehicles (shop equipped with Snap-On Pass-Through Pro II/III, Drewtech CarDAQ-Plus 2, Drewtech RAP, or similar J2534 device)
- Have a repair shop that does excellent transmission diagnostics and installation and want to be recommended? Visit our For Shops page
Fair Replacement Transmission Cost and Labor by Model
Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool here:
Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.
Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission factory direct by email.
Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model
Update July 2018
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Reman Transmission Pricing – Links to Supplier Transmission Prices
|Transmission||Street Smart Transmission||Autozone||Advance Auto Parts|
|4L60E / 4L65E||1480||1507||1599|
|4T45E / 4T40E||1460||1400||1400|
|5L40E (Exc. BMW)||2080||2100||2100|
|6T40 / 6T45||2220||2580||2580|
|6T75E / 6T70||2220||2400||2400|
|6L80 / 6L90||2320||2450||2480|
|4R100 / E4OD||1880||1800||1799|
|AX4N / AX4S||1560||1500||1500|
|FNR5 / AWTF-80||1880||1980||2000|
|6F50 / 6F35||2320||2560||2550|
|W5A580 / NAG1||2490||4510||3000|
By State and City
- Chula Vista
- Elk Grove
- Garden Grove
- Huntington Beach
- Long Beach
- Los Angeles County
- Moreno Valley
- Rancho Cucamonga
- San Bernardino
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Santa Ana
- Santa Clara
- Santa Rosa
- Brevard County
- Broward County
- Cape Coral
- Fern Park
- Ft. Lauderdale
- Miami-Dade County
- Pembroke Pines
- St. Petersburg
- Pinellas County
- Port St. Lucie
- West Palm Beach
- Philadelphia County
- West Mifflin
- Cedar Park
- Corpus Christi
- Dallas County
- El Paso
- Fort Worth
- Grand Prairie
- Round Rock
- San Antonio
- Sugar Land
- The Woodlands
Have a repair shop and want to be listed or recommended? Visit our For Shops page