A good repair shop that can diagnose and install a replacement transmission can be hard to find – especially on short notice. We can help you find a shop that does quality transmission diagnostics and installation for a fair price.
We also include a guide for fair prices for both replacement transmissions and installation labor for the most common transmission models.
How to Save Money:
We try to recommend repair shops more likely to install a remanufactured transmission that you purchase on your own for cost savings. When buying a transmission through a repair shop or dealership, you generally will pay $300 – $800 more. When buying factory direct, you can save $300 – $800 on the shop’s parts markup. Get a factory direct estimate by text/email by clicking here.
Questions to ask when calling local repair shops:
Note: Before calling, have your 17-digit VIN# number (from the vehicle dash, door or an insurance card, registration or title) handy.
–Do you install transmissions? Can you quote me a price for installation?
(Check the guide table below for fair labor prices. Labor costs can differ by area.)
–What is your hourly labor rate?
(Typical rates average $75 – $115 per hour)
–Can I have the transmission shipped to your shop for install?
(If you are purchasing directly from a company selling a remanufactured transmission)
Transmission Installation Shop Locator:
Reliable Repair Shop Criteria:
The following are recommended criteria to look for when calling around to find the most fair and reliable local repair shop for transmission installation:
- Has been in business for 2 years or more.
- Has a 4.0 or higher Google Reviews and/or Yelp Reviews rating, with no patterns of 1-star reviews.
- Has a Better Business Bureau “B” or higher rating.
- Is willing to install customer supplied transmissions purchased through reputable suppliers.
- Charges a maximum $95/hour labor rate for initial transmission installation and has a warranty hourly rate that is less than retail for warranty repair work.
- Offers transmission replacement labor using established hourly book times (Mitchell, Alldata, Chilton, Motor, etc).
- Has ability to reflash/reprogram using OEM subscriptions for late model 2006+ vehicles (shop equipped with Snap-On Pass-Through Pro II/III, Drewtech CarDAQ-Plus 2, Drewtech RAP, or similar J2534 device)
- Have a repair shop that does excellent transmission diagnostics and installation and want to be recommended? Visit our For Shops page
Fair Replacement Transmission Cost and Labor by Model
Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.
Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission factory direct by email.
Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model
Updated September 2018
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Reman Transmission Pricing – Links to Supplier Transmission Prices
|Transmission||Street Smart Transmission||Autozone||Advance Auto Parts|
|4L60E / 4L65E||1480||1507||1599|
|4T45E / 4T40E||1460||1400||1400|
|5L40E (Exc. BMW)||2080||2100||2100|
|6T40 / 6T45||2220||2580||2580|
|6T75E / 6T70||2220||2400||2400|
|6L80 / 6L90||2320||2450||2480|
|4R100 / E4OD||1880||1800||1799|
|AX4N / AX4S||1560||1500||1500|
|FNR5 / AWTF-80||1880||1980||2000|
|6F50 / 6F35||2320||2560||2550|
|W5A580 / NAG1||2490||4510||3000|
By State and City
- Chula Vista
- Elk Grove
- Garden Grove
- Huntington Beach
- Long Beach
- Los Angeles County
- Moreno Valley
- Rancho Cucamonga
- San Bernardino
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Santa Ana
- Santa Clara
- Santa Rosa
- Brevard County
- Broward County
- Cape Coral
- Fern Park
- Ft. Lauderdale
- Miami-Dade County
- Pembroke Pines
- St. Petersburg
- Pinellas County
- Port St. Lucie
- West Palm Beach
- Philadelphia County
- West Mifflin
- Cedar Park
- Corpus Christi
- Dallas County
- El Paso
- Fort Worth
- Grand Prairie
- Round Rock
- San Antonio
- Sugar Land
- The Woodlands
Have a repair shop and want to be listed or recommended? Visit our For Shops page