A good repair shop that can diagnose and install a replacement transmission can be hard to find – especially on short notice. We can help you find a shop that does quality transmission diagnostics and installation for a fair price.
We also include a guide for fair prices for both replacement transmissions and installation labor for the most common transmission models.
What Transmission Do I Have?
How to Save Money:
We try to recommend repair shops more likely to install a remanufactured transmission that you purchase on your own for cost savings. When buying a transmission through a repair shop or dealership, you generally will pay $300 – $800 more.
When buying factory direct, you can save $300 – $800 from what the shop will add as their markup on the transmission. Get a factory direct estimate by text message + email by clicking here.
Questions to ask when calling local repair shops:
Note: Before calling, have your 17-digit VIN# number (from the vehicle dash, door or an insurance card, registration or title) handy.
–Do you install transmissions? Can you quote me a price for installation?
(Check the guide table below for fair labor prices. Labor costs can differ by area.)
–What is your hourly labor rate?
(Typical rates average $75 – $115 per hour)
–Can I have the transmission shipped to your shop for install?
(If you are purchasing directly from a company selling a remanufactured transmission)
Transmission Installation Shop Locator:
Store Locator is loading from Storemapper store locator software…
Reliable Repair Shop Criteria:
The following are recommended criteria to look for when calling around to find the most fair and reliable local repair shop for transmission installation:
- Has been in business for 2 years or more.
- Has a 4.0 or higher Google Reviews and/or Yelp Reviews rating, with no patterns of 1-star reviews.
- Has a Better Business Bureau “B” or higher rating.
- Is willing to install customer supplied transmissions purchased through reputable suppliers.
- Charges a maximum $95/hour labor rate for initial transmission installation and has a warranty hourly rate that is less than retail for warranty repair work.
- Offers transmission replacement labor using established hourly book times (Mitchell, Alldata, Chilton, Motor, etc).
- Has ability to reflash/reprogram using OEM subscriptions for late model 2006+ vehicles (shop equipped with Snap-On Pass-Through Pro II/III, Drewtech CarDAQ-Plus 2, Drewtech RAP, or similar J2534 PassThru device)
Reman Transmission Pricing – Links to Supplier Transmission Prices
|Transmission||Street Smart Transmission||Autozone||Advance Auto Parts||Dealer Retail|
|4L60E / 4L65E||1490||1555||1799||2133|
|4T45E / 4T40E||1370||1440||1499||2644|
|5L40E (Exc. BMW)||1890||2145||2199||3618|
|6T40 / 6T45||2090||2500||2679||2850|
|6T75E / 6T70||2090||2392||2499||2955|
|6L80 / 6L90||2190||2520||2539||2930|
|4R100 / E4OD||1790||1836||1899||3228|
|AX4N / AX4S||1490||1480||1599||2495|
|FNR5 / AWTF-80||1790||2010||2079||2783|
|6F50 / 6F35||2290||2355||2649||3387|
|W5A580 / NAG1||2490||4510||3098||n/a|
By State and City
- Chula Vista
- Elk Grove
- Garden Grove
- Huntington Beach
- Long Beach
- Los Angeles County
- Moreno Valley
- Rancho Cucamonga
- San Bernardino
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Santa Ana
- Santa Clara
- Santa Rosa
- Brevard County
- Broward County
- Cape Coral
- Fern Park
- Ft. Lauderdale
- Miami-Dade County
- Pembroke Pines
- St. Petersburg
- Pinellas County
- Port St. Lucie
- West Palm Beach
- Philadelphia County
- West Mifflin
- Cedar Park
- Corpus Christi
- Dallas County
- El Paso
- Fort Worth
- Grand Prairie
- Round Rock
- San Antonio
- Sugar Land
- The Woodlands