A torque converter clutch locks the engine and transmission into more or less a single unit to improve performance and economy. The torque converter clutch solenoid makes this happen, and a P2770 DTC indicates there’s a problem with the circuit that controls it.
How Serious is the Code?
The P2770 OBD2 trouble code gets saved when the ECU is having problems controlling the torque converter clutch. Resulting transmission problems can range from slipping and delayed shifts, to transmission overheating and engine stalling.
Symptoms of a P2770 include:
- Harsh, delayed or erratic shifts
- Engine stalls
- Transmission shudders/shakes when coming to a stop or accelerating
- Getting stuck in gear
- Vehicle won’t move when in gear
- Reduced fuel economy
- Transmission overheats
- Low transmission fluid
- Dirty transmission fluid / filter
- Frayed wiring / damaged connectors
- Failed torque convertor clutch solenoid / TCC solenoid
- Failed torque convertor and/or clutch assembly
- Pressure blockage
- Valve body issue
- TCM failure
How to Diagnose the Code?
When trying to determine what is causing a P2770 diagnostic trouble code, the first thing that should be looked at is the condition and level of the transmission fluid. The wiring and connectors on the transmission wiring harness will also need to be checked, along with the database of manufacturer’s TSB’s (there may be a known solution for this transmission problem). If no issues have been found up to this point, the TCC solenoid will need to be tested.
What Repairs Will Fix P2770?
- Replace the torque converter clutch solenoid
- Replace the torque converter or clutch
- Change transmission fluid and filter
- Repair/replace damaged wiring and connectors
- Repair/replace TCM or ECU
- Install a rebuilt or remanufactured transmission
- P0740 – Torque Converter Clutch Circuit
- P0742 – Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Stuck On
- P0743 – Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical
- P0744 – Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Intermittent
- P2769 – Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Low
- P2770 – Torque Converter Clutch Circuit High