A P2766 DTC gets triggered when the input/turbine speed sensor / turbine speed sensor / TSS sensor isn’t performing according to preset parameters. This can seriously impact transmission performance.
How Serious is the Code?
The P2766 diagnostic trouble code can sometimes be quite severe, with transmission problems ranging from erratic shifting to Limp Mode. The cause could be as simple a failed turbine speed sensor, or as expensive as a failed torque converter.
Symptoms of a P2766 include:
- Hard or erratic shifts
- Complete failure to shift
- Reduced fuel economy
- Non-working or fluctuating speedometer/odometer
- Engine stalls
- Limp Mode
- Faulty input/turbine speed sensor
- Damaged wiring
- Failed shift solenoid
- Faulty output speed sensor
- Torque convertor issue
- ECU/TCM programming issue
How to Diagnose the Code?
One of the first things that should be done when diagnosing a P2766 OBDII trouble code, is to check if the manufacturer has technical service bulletins/TSB’s or software update related to the problem. The condition of the transmission fluid will need to be checked. The wiring will also need to be carefully checked for damaged wires or corroded/broken connectors. Should no problems be found, the transmission input speed sensor will need to be tested. Along with possibly the output speed sensor and intermediate shaft speed sensor.
What Repairs Will Fix P2766?
- Replace or repair transmission turbine speed sensor
- Replace or repair faulty wiring
- Replace or repair faulty connectors
- Reprogram ECU/TCM
- P0715 – Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction
- P0717 – Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit No Signal
- P0718 – Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Intermittent
- P0720 – Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction
- P0721 – Output Speed Sensor Range/Performance
- P0722 – Output Speed Sensor No Signal
- P0723 – Output Speed Sensor Intermittent
- P2765 – Input/Turbine Speed Sensor B Circuit
- P2767 – Input/Turbine Speed Sensor B Circuit No Signal
- P2768 – Input/Turbine Speed Sensor B Circuit Intermittent