Many modern high-performance and luxury vehicles require a special transmission cooler system that can reroute transmission fluid to a transmission cooler when the operating temperature increases. A P2754 DTC indicates that there is an electrical issue, most likely with the transmission cooler control valve.
How Serious is the Code?
A P2754 diagnostic trouble code is actually pretty serious, because it means the ECU cannot control the transmission fluid temperature. This can cause serious damage to transmission parts like the seals and clutches.
Symptoms of a P2754 include:
- Erratic shifting
- Unusually hard shifts
- Transmission overheating
- Faulty wiring/connectors
- Blown transmission cooler fuse
- Failed transmission cooler control valve
- Failed transmission cooler valve position sensor
- Failed automatic transmission cooler
How to Diagnose the Code?
Diagnosing a P2754 OBD2 trouble code generally starts with checking the fuses, wiring and connectors. Beyond that, an application-specific diagnostic computer may be needed to determine the source of the problem. Often times the transmission cooler control valve could be to blame. However, the problem could also be software or sensor related.
What Repairs Will Fix P2754?
- Repair damaged wiring
- Repair damaged connectors
- Replace fuse
- Repair/replace transmission cooler control valve
- Replace transmission cooler valve position sensor
- Repair/replace transmission cooler
- Reprogram ECU/TCM
- P2753 – Trans Fluid Cooler Ctrl Circ/Open OBD-II Trouble Code
- P2755 – Trans Fluid Cooler Ctrl Circ High OBD-II Trouble Code