An intermediate shaft speed sensor tells the computer when it’s time to execute a shift, by measuring the rotating speed of the intermediate shaft inside the transmission. If the ECU stops receiving a signal from the ISS sensor, a P2747 DTC will be stored.
How Serious is the Code?
A P2747 diagnostic trouble code is actually rather serious, and can result in a vehicle that won’t be safe to drive. For example, a P2747 DTC problem can result in a number of transmission problems including delayed shifts, harsh shifts and engine stalling.
Symptoms of a P2747 include:
- Delayed, erratic or harsh shifts
- Transmission unable to change gears
- Engine misfire
- Hesitation when accelerating
- Engine stalls
- Limp Mode
- Speedometer may appear to be broken
- Failed intermediate shaft speed sensor
- Malfunctioning transmission input speed sensor
- Faulty output speed sensor
- Broken, loose or corroded connectors
- Frayed or shorted wiring
- Valve body or pressure related issues
- Broken shift solenoid
- Defective engine temperature sensor
How to Diagnose the Code?
The P2747 OBDII trouble code is best diagnosed by first researching the manufacturer’s TSB database to see if there any known problems, software updates and solutions for this problem. The level and condition of the transmission fluid should also be checked, as dirty or old transmission fluid can affect the operation of the ISS sensor. If no problems are found, the wiring and connectors on the transmission wiring harness will need to be inspected for signs of damage and corrosion. If everything looks good, then the intermediate shaft speed sensor will need to be tested, along with possibly the output speed sensor, engine temperature sensor and shift solenoids.
What Repairs Will Fix P2747?
- Replace intermediate shaft speed sensor
- Replace output speed sensor
- Replace input speed sensor
- Repair or replace damaged wiring and/or connectors
- Replace the engine temperature sensor
- Change transmission fluid and filter
- Flush transmission fluid
- Fix transmission fluid leaks
- Reprogram ECU/TCM
- P2745 – Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor B Circ
- P2746 – Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor B Circ Range/Performance
- P2748 – Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor B Circ Intermittent
- P2749 – Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor C Circ
- P2750 – Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor C Circ Range/Performance
- P2751 – Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor C Circ No Signal
- P2752 – Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor C Circ Intermittent