To ensure the safe operation of your transmission, the ECU constantly monitors the temperature of the transmission fluid using a transmission fluid temperature sensor/TFT sensor. If the signal coming from this sensor is not constant, a P2744 DTC will be stored.
How Serious is the Code?
A P2744 diagnostic trouble code is actually very serious, because it means one of two things: 1. The transmission has actually overheated, in which case significant internal damage to transmission parts like the bearings and seals, is very likely. 2. The transmission fluid temperature sensor/TFT sensor has failed, which will prevent the ECU from knowing if the transmission has actually overheated. The transmission may also be commanded into Limp Mode, which will restrict you to a single forward gear.
Some of the common symptoms of a P2744 DTC code include:
- Transmission overheating
- Slipping in and out of the gear
- Harsh, delayed or erratic shifts
- Torque convertor lockup problems
- Limp Mode
- Dirty transmission fluid and/or clogged transmission filter
- Low transmission fluid levels
- A transmission fluid leak
- A short in the wiring
- Damaged or corroded wiring
- Damaged or corroded wiring connectors
- Broken transmission fluid temperature sensor
How to Diagnose the Code?
When diagnosing a P2744 OBDII trouble code, it’s important to consider the level and condition of the transmission fluid. Dirty or low transmission fluid can actually cause the transmission to overheat. It can also prevent the TFT sensor from operating properly. The wiring and connectors on the transmission wiring harness should also be checked. If no issues are found at this point, then the TFT sensor itself will need to be checked to see if it’s operating properly.
What Repairs Will Fix P2744?
- Replace the transmission fluid temperature sensor
- Change dirty transmission fluid and filter
- Repair transmission fluid leaks
- Repair wiring shorts and/or damage
- Repair corroded or damaged connectors
- P2740 – Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor B Circ
- P2741 – Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor B Circ Range/Performance
- P2742 – Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor B Circ Low Voltage
- P2743 – Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor B Circ High Voltage