A transmission fluid temperature sensor/TFT sensor one of the most important transmission parts inside your gearbox. Its job is to tell the computer what the current temperature of the transmission fluid is, that way the ECU can put the transmission into Limp Mode and protect the internal components if the transmission does overheat. A P2741 DTC indicates that there is either problem with this sensor, or the transmission is in fact overheating.
How Serious is the Code?
The transmission fluid temperature sensor operates by sending an electrical signal to the ECU, based on the current temperature of the transmission fluid. If the computer thinks the signal being sent by the TFT sensor does not meet the current safe operating parameters, it will generate a P2741 diagnostic trouble code. This will likely affect transmission performance, and if the transmission is actually overheating, significant internal damage can occur.
Symptoms of a P2741 include:
- Transmission overheating
- Harsh, delayed or erratic shifts
- Torque convertor lockup malfunction
- Limp Mode
The common causes of a P2741 fault code include:
- Dirty transmission fluid/filter
- Low transmission fluid
- Transmission fluid leaks
- Wiring damage, a short or corrosion
- A broken transmission fluid temperature sensor
How to Diagnose the Code?
The first thing that should be addressed when diagnosing a P2741 OBDII trouble code, is the condition and level of the transmission fluid. Dirty transmission fluid can cause the TFT sensor not to operate correctly. It can also tell you whether or not the transmission has overheated. If no problems are found there, then the wiring and connectors on the transmission wiring harness should be inspected for signs of broken wires and corroded pins. If nothing is found by this point, then the TFT sensor itself will need to be tested.
What Repairs Will Fix P2741?
- Change or flush the transmission fluid
- Repair transmission fluid leaks
- Repair a short, or damaged wires
- Repair corroded or damaged connector
- Replace the transmission fluid temperature sensor
- P2740 – Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor B Circ
- P2742 – Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor B Circ Low Voltage
- P2743 – Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor B Circ High Voltage
- P2744 – Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor B Circ Intermittent