Pressurized hydraulic fluid, a.k.a. transmission fluid, is what moves all the parts inside the transmission that make you go down the road. A P2734 DTC means that the computer has detected an electrical problem with one of the devices called pressure control solenoids, which are responsible for regulating this hydraulic pressure.
How Serious is the Code?
If your vehicle has a P2734 diagnostic trouble code, then the ECU will not be able to control the pressure control solenoid labeled F. What this means for you is, the transmission will not respond correctly, and you will experience a number of drivability and safety issues. The transmission could slip, the engine could stall, along with a number of other transmission problems.
Symptoms of a P2734 include
- Slipping out of gear
- Erratic or unusually hard shifts
- Engine stalling
- Transmission won’t change out of a gear
- Vehicle can’t move even though a forward or reverse gear is selected
- Higher fuel consumption
- Transmission overheats
- Limp mode
- Not enough ATF in the transmission
- Transmission fluid and filter are dirty
- The wiring and connectors may be damaged
- Pressure control solenoid has failed
- Transmission pump has failed
- Fluid passages inside the transmission are blocked
- Valve body is not functioning properly
- TCM or ECU has failed
How to Diagnose the Code?
When a mechanic is trying to diagnose a P2734 OBDII trouble code, the first thing they should check is the transmission fluid. If it’s too low or too dirty, the pressure control solenoids won’t work right. But since the P2734 DTC is triggered by an electrical problem, they should really check the wiring and connectors on the wiring harness. If no problems like a shorted wire or corroded connector are found, then the pressure control solenoid itself will need to be checked. The transmission pump, valve body and ECU may also need to be tested.
What Repairs Will Fix P2734?
- Change the transmission fluid and filter
- Replace pressure control solenoid
- Repair or replace transmission pump
- Repair or replace valve body
- Install a remanufactured valve body
- Transmission flush to clean passages
- Clean corrosion from connectors
- Repair or replace wiring
- Flash or replace ECU/TCM
- P2731 – Pressure Control Solenoid F
- P2732 – Pressure Control Solenoid F Perf or Stuck Off
- P2733 – Pressure Control Solenoid F Stuck On
- P2735 – Pressure Control Solenoid F Intermittent
- P2736 – Pressure Control Solenoid F Ctrl Circ/Open