Pressure control solenoids are used set the hydraulic pressure needed for the next scheduled action/shift. The ECU detects a performance problem, or thinks the pressure control solenoid labeled F has become stuck in the Off position, a P2732 DTC will be set.
How Serious is the Code?
Since a P2732 OBDII trouble code is triggered by hydraulic pressure problem, you can expect a number of transmission problems including delayed shifts, unusually harsh shifts, failed gear engagement and engine stalling.
Symptoms of a P2732 include:
- Erratic, delayed or harsh shifts
- Transmission slipping
- Engine stalls when coming to a stop
- Transmission gets stuck in a gear
- Transmission can’t engage a forward or reverse gear
- Limp mode
- Lower MPG
- Transmission overheats
- Not enough transmission fluid
- Dirty transmission fluid / filter
- Damaged wiring/connector
- Malfunctioning pressure control solenoid
- Defective transmission pump
- Blocked pressure passage
- Valve body issue
- TCM or ECU failure
How to Diagnose the Code?
One of the first things that a mechanic should do when trying to diagnose a P2732 diagnostic trouble code, is check the level and condition of the transmission fluid. Not enough transmission fluid will cause the pressure control solenoid not to work. Dirt and sludge from worn transmission fluid will do the same thing. If no issues are found with the ATF, then the wiring and connectors on the transmission wiring harness need to be checked. Should nothing be found by this point, the pressure control solenoid will need to be tested. The valve body, transmission pump and ECU may also need to be tested.
What Repairs Will Fix P2732?
- Change the fluid and filter
- Perform transmission flush to clean passages
- Replace failed pressure control solenoid
- Repair or replace transmission pump
- Repair defective transmission valve body
- Install a remanufactured valve body
- Cleaning corrosion from connectors
- Repairing or replacing wiring
- Flashing or replacing PCM
- P2731 – Pressure Control Solenoid F
- P2733 – Pressure Control Solenoid F Stuck On
- P2734 – Pressure Control Solenoid F Electrical
- P2735 – Pressure Control Solenoid F Intermittent
- P2736 – Pressure Control Solenoid F Ctrl Circ/Open