In order to move clutch packs and gears, the ECU commands a little plunger device known as a pressure control solenoid, to set the appropriate hydraulic pressure for the needed action. If the ECU detects that the circuit on which it operates has remained in the open position for too long, a P2727 DTC will be set.
How Serious is the Code?
A P2727 diagnostic trouble code is pretty serious as OBDII trouble codes go. The pressure control solenoid is responsible for maintaining enough hydraulic pressure to make the gears change, so if it’s not working, your transmission will not function properly. Plus, the ECU may command maximum line pressure which can put premature wear on the internal components.
Symptoms of a P2727 include:
- Slipping in-and-out of gear
- Harsh, delayed or erratic shifts
- Transmission gets stuck in gear
- Vehicle won’t move when in gear
- Engine stalling
- Reduced fuel economy
- Transmission overheats
- Limp mode
- Dirty transmission fluid/filter
- Low transmission fluid
- Frayed wiring
- Corroded connectors
- Failed pressure control solenoid
- Failed transmission pump
- Internal pressure blockage
- Valve body issue
- TCM or ECU failure
How to Diagnose the Code?
One of the most common causes of a P2727 DTC is dirty or low transmission fluid. If the transmission has been maintained properly and the fluid is at the correct level, then the wiring and connectors on the transmission wiring harness should be carefully inspected for signs of damage or corrosion. If everything checks out there, then the pressure control solenoid should be tested. The valve body and transmission belt may also need to be inspected, and the ECU/TCM software version and functionality should be checked.
What Repairs Will Fix P2727?
- Change the transmission fluid and filter
- Replace the pressure control solenoid
- Repair or replace a faulty transmission pump
- Repair or replace transmission valve body
- Repair or replace wiring/connectors
- Reflash or replace TCM/ECU
- P2722 – Pressure Control Solenoid E
- P2723 – Pressure Control Solenoid E Perf or Stuck Off
- P2724 – Pressure Control Solenoid E Stuck On
- P2725 – Pressure Control Solenoid E Electrical
- P2726 – Pressure Control Solenoid E Intermittent
- P2728 – Pressure Control Solenoid E Ctrl Circ Range/Perf
- P2729 – Pressure Control Solenoid E Ctrl Circ Low
- P2730 – Pressure Control Solenoid E Ctrl Circ High