If your vehicle has a P2722 DTC, it means the computer has detected a problem with the pressure control solenoid labeled ‘E’. These plunger-like devices are used to regulate the hydraulic pressure necessary to actuate a gear shift.
How Serious is the Code?
A P2722 OBDII diagnostic trouble code is quite serious, and means the computer cannot regulate the hydraulic pressure inside the transmission. When this happens, a number of drivability and safety issues can occur. Including slipping through the gears, engine stalling and limp mode.
Symptoms of a P2722 include:
- Check engine light
- Transmission slipping
- Erratic, delayed or harsh shifts
- Engine stalls when coming to a stop
- Transmission gets stuck in a gear
- Transmission can’t engage a forward or reverse gear
- Limp mode
- Lower MPG
- Transmission overheats
- Not enough transmission fluid
- Dirty transmission fluid / filter
- Damaged wiring/connector
- Malfunctioning pressure control solenoid
- Defective transmission pump
- Blocked pressure passage
- Valve body issue
- TCM or ECU failure
How to Diagnose the Code?
When first diagnosing a P2722 diagnostic trouble code, it’s not unusual to find that dirty transmission fluid and poor maintenance have affected the operation of the pressure control solenoid. If dirty transmission fluid is found, it should be changed immediately. The wiring and connectors on the transmission wiring harness should also be thoroughly inspected for signs of damage and corrosion. If no issues are found by this point, then the pressure control solenoid and valve body should be tested. TCM/ECU programming may also be to blame for the problem
What Repairs Will Fix P2722?
- Changing the fluid and filter
- Replace faulty pressure control solenoid
- Repair or replace a faulty transmission pump
- Repair defective transmission valve body
- Install a remanufactured valve body
- Transmission flush to clean passages
- Cleaning corrosion from connectors
- Repairing or replacing wiring
- Flashing or replacing PCM
- P2723 – Pressure Control Solenoid E Perf or Stuck Off
- P2724 – Pressure Control Solenoid E Stuck On
- P2725 – Pressure Control Solenoid E Electrical
- P2726 – Pressure Control Solenoid E Intermittent
- P2727 – Pressure Control Solenoid E Ctrl Circ / Open
- P2728 – Pressure Control Solenoid E Ctrl Circ Range/Perf
- P2729 – Pressure Control Solenoid E Ctrl Circ Low
- P2730 – Pressure Control Solenoid E Ctrl Circ High