The pressure control solenoid is designed to maintain the correct hydraulic pressure that is needed, based on a number of parameters from different elements like the throttle position and gear selection. Having a P2720 DTC means the circuit on which the pressure control solenoid operates is low. So this solenoid may not open or close when commanded.
How Serious is the Code?
The P2720 diagnostic trouble code is pretty serious, as it relates to the hydraulic pressure that is needed to drive the vehicle down the road. Problems in this area can lead to drivability and safety issues like slipping, hard gear changes and engine stalling.
Symptoms of a P2720 include:
- Slipping through the gears
- Delayed, harsh or erratic shifts
- Getting ‘stuck’ in a gear
- Vehicle won’t move when in gear
- Engine stalling
- Limp mode
- Decreased fuel economy
- Transmission overheats
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid / filter
- Damaged wiring/connector
- Faulty pressure control solenoid
- Faulty transmission pump
- Internal pressure issue
- Valve body issue
- ECU or TCM failure
How to Diagnose the Code?
Since a P2720 OBDII diagnostic trouble code is caused by a hydraulic pressure issue, the first thing the mechanic should check is the level and condition of the transmission fluid. If it is clean and bright, the wiring and connectors on the transmission wiring harness should be inspected for signs of damage and corrosion. Should no issues be found there, then the solenoid itself should tested. The valve body, transmission pump, torque converter, and ECU programming could also be to blame.
What Repairs Will Fix P2720?
- Changing the fluid and filter
- Replace faulty pressure control solenoid
- Repair or replace a faulty transmission pump
- Repair defective transmission valve body
- Install a remanufactured valve body
- Transmission flush to clean passages
- Cleaning corrosion from connectors
- Repairing or replacing wiring
- Flashing or replacing PCM
- P2717 – Pressure Control Solenoid D Intermittent
- P2718 – Pressure Control Solenoid D Ctrl Circ / Open
- P2719 – Pressure Control Solenoid D Ctrl Circ Range/Perf
- P2721 – Pressure Control Solenoid D Ctrl Circ High