Inside the transmission valve body are little spring-loaded plunger devices called pressure control solenoids. These little transmission parts are extremely important, because they are in used to regulate the hydraulic pressure inside the transmission. If the computer detects a problem with the pressure control solenoid circuit performance, a P2719 DTC will be set.
How Serious is the Code?
A P2719 diagnostic trouble code is very serious, because it means that the computer cannot regulate the hydraulic pressure needed to operate the transmission. When this happens, transmission problems like harsh shifts, delayed shifts, engine stalling and failure to move in gear, can happen.
Symptoms of a P2719 include:
- Harsh, erratic shifts
- Engine stalls while stopped in gear
- Vehicle won’t move when in gear
- Increased fuel consumption
- Transmission overheats
- Limp mode
- Insufficient transmission fluid
- Dirty transmission fluid / filter
- Frayed wiring / damaged connectors
- Failing pressure control solenoid
- Failing transmission pump
- Internal pressure problems
- Valve body issue
- ECU or TCM failure
How to Diagnose the Code?
When a mechanic goes to diagnose a P2719 OBDII diagnostic trouble code, the first thing they should look at is the level and condition of the transmission fluid. Not having enough transmission fluid, and even dirty transmission fluid, can significantly reduce hydraulic pressure and cause the pressure control solenoid not to operate correctly. If no issues are found here, then the wiring and connectors on the transmission wiring harness should be checked for signs of damage and corrosion. From there, the pressure control solenoid and valve body should be checked.
What Repairs Will Fix P2719?
- Changing the fluid and filter
- Replace faulty pressure control solenoid
- Repair or replace a faulty transmission pump
- Repair or replace defective transmission valve body
- Transmission flush to clean passages
- Cleaning corrosion from connectors
- Repairing or replacing wiring
- Flashing or replacing PCM
- P2717 – Pressure Control Solenoid D Intermittent
- P2718 – Pressure Control Solenoid D Ctrl Circ / Open
- P2720 – Pressure Control Solenoid D Ctrl Circ Low
- P2721 – Pressure Control Solenoid D Ctrl Circ High