An automatic transmission relies on hydraulic pressure to change gears and transmit power to the road. The computer controls this pressure using little electrically actuated devices known as a pressure control solenoid. If there is an intermittent problem with the ‘D’ solenoid, a P2717 DTC will be set.
How Serious is the Code?
If your vehicle has a P2717 diagnostic trouble code, it means that the computer will not be able to control the operation of the transmission. This will not only lead to drivability and safety issues. But it can also cause serious damage to other components inside your transmission.
Symptoms of a P2717 include:
- Harsh, delayed or erratic shifts
- Slipping in-and-out of gear
- Engine stalling
- Transmission gets stuck in gear
- Vehicle won’t move when in gear
- Reduced fuel economy
- Transmission overheats
- Limp mode
- Dirty transmission fluid/filter
- Low transmission fluid
- Damaged wiring
- Damaged connectors
- Failed pressure control solenoid
- Failed transmission pump
- Internal pressure blockage
- Valve body issue
- TCM or ECU failure
How to Diagnose the Code?
Because a P2717 OBDII diagnostic trouble code relates to an internal pressure problem, the condition and level of transmission fluid should be checked first. A transmission service or transmission flush may alleviate some of the symptoms. But that may only be a temporary fix.
The wiring and connectors also need to be examined for signs of damage and corrosion. After that, the pressure control solenoid itself will need to be tested, along with possibly the transmission pump, valve body and TCM/ECU.
What Repairs Will Fix P2717?
- Change the transmission fluid and filter
- Replace the pressure control solenoid
- Repair or replace a faulty transmission pump
- Repair or replace transmission valve body
- Repair or replace wiring/connectors
- Reflash or replace TCM/ECU
- P2718 – Pressure Control Solenoid D Ctrl Circ / Open
- P2719 – Pressure Control Solenoid D Ctrl Circ Range/Perf
- P2720 – Pressure Control Solenoid D Ctrl Circ Low
- P2721 – Pressure Control Solenoid D Ctrl Circ High