The pressure control solenoid is a little spring-loaded plunger mechanism that controls the flow of pressurized hydraulic fluid throughout the transmission. This is the ECU detects an electrical problem with this very important solenoid, a P2716 DTC will be stored in the ECU memory.
How Serious is the Code?
The P2716 diagnostic trouble code is years to indicate that there is a problem with the electrical circuit on the pressure control solenoid labeled ‘D’. Since the solenoid is electrically controlled, this can lead to shift problems and major drivability issues such as slipping, delayed gear changes and engine stalling.
Symptoms of a P2716 include:
- Harsh, erratic shifts
- Engine stalls while stopped in gear
- Vehicle won’t move when in gear
- Increased fuel consumption
- Transmission overheats
- Limp mode
- Insufficient transmission fluid
- Dirty transmission fluid / filter
- Frayed wiring / damaged connectors
- Failing pressure control solenoid
- Failing transmission pump
- Internal pressure problems
- Valve body issue
- ECU or TCM failure
How to Diagnose the Code?
When trying to diagnose a P2716 OBDII diagnostic trouble code, it’s important to note the condition and level of transmission fluid, which as dirty transmission fluid or a dirty transmission filter, can actually affect hydraulic pressure inside the gearbox. If the ATF is clean, then the wiring and connectors on the transmission wiring harness need to be inspected for signs of damage or corrosion. If everything checks out at this point, then the pressure control solenoids, valve body, torque converter and transmission pump will need to be inspected.
What Repairs Will Fix P2716?
- Changing the fluid and filter
- Replace faulty pressure control solenoid
- Repair or replace a faulty transmission pump
- Repair or replace defective transmission valve body
- Transmission flush to clean passages
- Cleaning corrosion from connectors
- Repairing or replacing wiring
- Flashing or replacing PCM