A Nissan TFT sensor tells the ECU how hot the transmission fluid is getting. If this information isn’t available, the transmission could be commanded into Limp Mode, or overheat. A P1710 OBDII code means there is an issue with the A/T fluid temperature sensor.
How Serious is the Code?
The Nissan P1710 diagnostic trouble code is very serious, because it means the ECU cannot accurately monitor the temperature of the transmission fluid. This can cause a number of serious issues, which could severely damage your transmission.
Symptoms of a P1710 include:
- Harsh gear changes
- Delayed gear changes
- Erratic transmission behavior
- Torque converter/overdrive malfunction
- Smoke or burning smell coming from the transmission due to overheating
- Limp Mode
- Wiring or connector damage
- Failed transmission fluid temperature sensor
How to Diagnose the Code?
The first step to diagnosing a P1710 OBD2 trouble code, check all the wiring and connectors along the transmission wiring harness. If no issues are found, the Nissan A/T fluid temperature sensors will need to be checked.
What Repairs Will Fix P1710?
- Repair damage wiring and connectors
- Replace transmission fluid temperature sensor