The Nissan park neutral position sensor / PNP switch is designed to detect when the shift lever is in neutral or park. If the shift lever is in another gear, the park neutral position switch will not allow electricity to pass from the battery to the starter. A P1706 OBDII code indicates that there is a malfunction with either the switch itself, or the wiring connected to it.
How Serious is the Code?
A P1706 Nissan diagnostic trouble code can actually prevent your engine from starting. In some cases however, you may experience the inability to start the engine in park, but it will start in neutral, or any gear. Either way, this is a serious safety hazard, because your vehicle could roll away if it is started while in gear.
Symptoms of a P1706 include:
- Inability to start the engine
- Engine will start with the shift lever is in neutral but not Park
- Engine will start in any gear
- Damaged wiring or connectors
- Failed park neutral position switch
How to Diagnose the Code?
The best way to diagnose a P1706 OBD2 trouble code, is to carefully inspect the wiring and connectors leading from the switch itself to the main wiring harness. If no issues are found, the switch itself will have to be tested and possibly replaced.
What Repairs Will Fix P1706?
- Repair any damage wiring or connectors
- Replace park neutral position switch