Usually numbered by letters (i.e. F=6), the transmission fluid pressure sensor F is designed to monitor the amount of hydraulic pressure inside the transmission, that way the ECU can decide upon the best shift strategy. If the TFPS sensor is not performing the way it was programmed to, a P0993 DTC will be saved.
How Serious is the Code?
Although a simple transmission line pressure sensor OBDII code might not seem like that make a big deal, a P0993 diagnostic trouble code can actually be quite serious. The resulting transmission problems can lead to a number of drivability issues that include harsh gear changes and a failure of the transmission to go into gear.
Symptoms of a P0993 include:
- Abrupt gear changes
- Transmission won’t go into a forward or reverse gear
- Limp Mode
- Dirty or low transmission fluid
- Damaged wiring/connectors
- Failed transmission fluid pressure sensor/line pressure sensor
- Valve body issues
How to Diagnose the Code?
When diagnosing a P0993 OBDII trouble code, the technician should always begin by checking the condition and level of transmission fluid. Low or dirty ATF can actually affects the hydraulic pressure, so the transmission should be immediately serviced. The wiring and connectors along the transmission wiring harness can also cause this OBD2 code, so they should be carefully inspected for signs of damage wires and corroded/broken connectors. After that, the transmission fluid pressure sensor itself will need to be tested. If that checks out, this transmission DTC could be caused by mechanical issues deep inside the transmission.
What Repairs Will Fix P0993?
- Add or change transmission fluid and filter
- Repair or replace damaged wiring and connectors
- Replace transmission fluid pressure sensor/switch
- Repair or install remanufactured valve body
- P0992 – Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch “F” Circuit
- P0994 – Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch “F” Circuit Low
- P0995 – Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch “F” Circuit High
- P0996 – Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch “F” Circuit Intermittent