A shift solenoid is a little electromechanical device that the ECU uses to direct the flow of pressurized hydraulic fluid throughout the transmission. If it is not performing properly, a P0975 DTC will be saved.
How Serious is the Code?
The P0975 diagnostic trouble code means that the computer is not able to control the shifts, which will leave you with a number of drivability issues that include a complete failure to shift.
Symptoms of a P0975 include:
- Usually harsh gear changes
- Transmission may not shift into gear
- Transmission fluid is too low or too dirty
- Damaged wiring and/or connectors
- Broken shift solenoid
How to Diagnose the Code?
The first thing the technician should do when trying to diagnose a P0975 OBDII trouble code, is to check the level and condition of the transmission fluid. The next thing they should do is check the condition of the wiring and connectors transmission wiring harness. If no dirty transmission fluid, damaged wires or broken connectors are found, shift solenoid itself will need to be tested.
What Repairs Will Fix P0975?
- Service the transmission
- Replace or repair damage wiring/connectors
- Replace shift solenoid
- P0976 – Shift Solenoid “B” Control Circuit Low
- P0977 – Shift Solenoid “B” Control Circuit High