A pressure control solenoid is a little spring-loaded device that the ECU controls by sending an electrical charge through the spring mechanism that surrounds an internal plunger. This allows hydraulic fluid to flow down the correct channel inside the valve body, which can move a clutch pack or gear set. If there is an electrical issue along the pressure control solenoid B control circuit, a P0964 DTC will be saved.
How Serious is the Code?
The P0964 diagnostic trouble code means that your vehicle is likely to experience a number of transmission problems that include slipping through the gears, unusually hard shifts, and the engine could stall unexpectedly when you slow down or stop.
Symptoms of a P0964 include:
- Transmission slips
- Hard shifting
- Transmission overheating
- Engine stalls when coming to a stop
- Engine misfire-like symptoms
- Limp mode
- Dirty transmission filter and fluid
- Damaged/frayed wiring
- Corroded or broken connectors
- Pressure control solenoid failure
- Transmission pump failure
- Valve body failure
- TCM/ECU problems
How to Diagnose the Code?
Transmission fluid plays a huge part in the performance of a pressure control solenoid, so the level and condition of the ATF should be checked when trying to diagnose the cause of a P0964 OBDII code. The wiring and connectors along the transmission wiring harness will also have to be inspected for signs of damage and corrosion. If no problems have been found up to this point, then the pressure control solenoids, transmission pump, valve body and ECU/TCM should all be considered.
What Repairs Will Fix P0964?
- Change the transmission fluid and filter
- Repair or replace damaged wiring and connectors
- Install new pressure control solenoid(s)
- Repair or replace transmission pump
- Repair or replace the valve body
- Reprogram or replace the ECU or TCM
- P0965 – Pressure Control Solenoid “B” Control Circuit Range/Performance
- P0966 – Pressure Control Solenoid “B” Control Circuit Low
- P0967 – Pressure Control Solenoid “B” Control Circuit High