The P0944 DTC is often used on VW and Chrysler Corp. vehicles when the transmission pump stops making hydraulic pressure. This is a serious OBD2 code, and should be addressed immediately.
How Serious is the Code?
The P0944 diagnostic trouble code is actually one of the most severe transmission OBDII trouble codes that you can have. If the transmission loses hydraulic pressure, it will literally not be able to function. When this happens, severe internal damage will occur.
Symptoms of a P0944 include:
- Delayed shifts
- Transmission refuses to shift
- Dirty or low transmission fluid
- Blocked or loose transmission cooler lines/filter
- Faulty transmission pump
- Internal hydraulic passage blockage
- Stuck transmission pressure regulator valve
How to Diagnose the Code?
The best way to diagnose a P0944 OBDII trouble code, is to perform a transmission line pressure test. This will tell the technician whether or not the transmission pump is creating enough hydraulic pressure.
What Repairs Will Fix P0944?
- Change transmission fluid
- Flush transmission
- Replace transmission cooler lines filter
- Replace transmission pump
- Replace transmission regulator valve
- Replace, rebuild or install remanufactured transmission