This OBD2 code is generally used on Chrysler Corp. and VW vehicles, and it pertains to the transmission pump. If the ECU detects that it is not performing according to the preprogrammed parameters, it will trigger a P0943 DTC.
How Serious is the Code?
A P0943 diagnostic trouble code is extremely serious, because it means the transmission pump is not producing enough hydraulic pressure to safely operate the transmission. This can result in catastrophic damage to the transmission, so it should be diagnosed immediately.
Symptoms of a P0943 include:
- Delayed gear changes
- Transmission refuses to change gears
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid/filter
- Blocked or loose transmission cooler lines/filter
- Transmission pump has failed
- One of the fluid passages inside of the transmission/valve body have become clogged
- Non-working transmission pressure regulator valve
How to Diagnose the Code?
The process of diagnosing a P0943 OBDII trouble code involves performing a transmission line pressure test, to determine if the transmission pump is performing properly. If it is not, it will have to be replaced.
What Repairs Will Fix P0943?
- Change transmission fluid
- Flush transmission
- Replace transmission cooler lines filter
- Replace transmission pump
- Replace transmission regulator valve
- Replace, rebuild or install a remanufactured transmission