A P0919 DTC gets saved when the ECU detects that the gear you have selected with the shifter does not match the gear the transmission is actually in.
How Serious is the Code?
The P0919 diagnostic trouble code means that there is a “communication gap” between the shifter and the transmission. This can result in an erratically behaving transmission, and it may not even go into gear.
Symptoms of a P0919 include:
- Transmission behaves erratically
- Transmission cannot engage forward/reverse gears
- Damaged connectors and/or wiring
- Broken sensor
- Malfunctioning shifter
- Failed shift actuator assembly
- TCM Issues or failure
How to Diagnose the Code?
In order to diagnose a P0919 OBDII trouble code, the technician should carefully examine the wiring and connectors between the shifter and the transmission. They will also need to test all of the sensors, electric motors and shift actuator assembly. In rare cases, the ECU/TCM programming may be at fault.
What Repairs Will Fix P0919?
- Repair or replace damaged wiring/connectors
- Replace failed sensor(s)
- Replace shift actuator assembly
- Reprogram, repair or replace TCM
- P0914 – Gear Shift Position Circuit
- P0915 – Gear Shift Position Circuit Range/Performance
- P0916 – Gear Shift Position Circuit Low
- P0917 – Gear Shift Position Circuit High
- P0918 – Gear Shift Position Circuit Intermittent
- P0920 – Gear Shift Forward Actuator