A transmission fluid pressure sensor measures the amount of hydraulic pressure inside the transmission. This information allows the ECU to determine the correct shift pattern based on the current driving situation. The TFPS sensor relays this information to the ECU through a voltage signal. A P0872 DTC means that this voltage signal is unusually low, which can signal a problem with either the sensor or the hydraulic pressure.
How Serious is the Code?
A P0872 diagnostic trouble code is actually pretty serious, as it could be caused by either a failed sensor or hydraulic pressure issues. In either case, you can experience a number of drivability issues that can result in serious internal transmission damage.
Symptoms of a P0872 include:
- Transmission overheated
- Transmission is slipping
- Transmission will not go into gear
- There isn’t enough transmission fluid
- The transmission fluid is too dirty
- There is a transmission fluid leak
- Transmission overheating
- Engine overheated
- Wiring/connector damage
- The transmission pump is failed
- Transmission fluid pressure sensor has failed
- Transmission fluid temperature sensor has failed
- TCM has failed
- Internal mechanical failure
How to Diagnose the Code?
Manufacturers often issue technical service bulletins to provide solutions for known transmission problems. Checking this database should be one of the first steps to diagnosing a P0872 OBDII trouble code. Next the wiring and connectors on the transmission wiring harness should be checked for signs of damage and corrosion. The transmission fluid pressure sensor will also need to be tested to ensure that it works properly. If the technician can’t find any problems by now, an internal mechanical failure should be suspected.
What Repairs Will Fix P0872?
- Change the transmission fluid and filter
- Repair transmission fluid leaks
- Repair or replace damaged wiring and sensors on the transmission wiring harness
- Replace the transmission pump
- Replace transmission fluid pressure sensor
- Replace transmission fluid temperature sensor
- Replace or repair valve body
- Replace or repair transmission