The traction control system is designed to prevent wheel spin in slippery conditions, or situations where too much throttle has been applied. A P0856 DTC gets stored when there is an inconsistency with the input signal coming from the traction control system.
How Serious is the Code?
A P0856 diagnostic trouble code is extremely serious and can affect the safety of you, and the occupants of your vehicle. The presence of this DTC generally means the traction control system will not work, and the transmission itself may exhibit erratic behavior.
Symptoms of a P0856 include:
- Traction control warning light
- Traction control system no longer works
- Erratic shifting behavior
- Limp mode
- Damaged wiring or corroded connectors
- Failed traction control switch
- Failed electronic brake control module/ABS module
- Failed traction control module
How to Diagnose the Code?
The first steps to diagnosing in P0856 OBDII trouble code, is to thoroughly examine the condition of the wiring and connectors. If there is an on/off switch for the traction control system, it should be examined for signs of water damage and corrosion on the connectors. If no issues are found, then the traction control module and possibly the ABS module, will need to be considered.
What Repairs Will Fix P0856?
- Repair or replace damaged wiring and/or connectors
- Replace traction control switch
- Replace traction control module
- Replace electronic brake control module / ABS control module