In order to prevent a vehicle from rolling away if the engine is started when the selector is not in Park or Neutral, an electric device called a starter disable relay or neutral safety switch is used to interrupt the flow of power from the battery to the starter. If there is a problem with the starter disable circuit, a P0817 DTC will be triggered.
How Serious is the Code?
A P0817 diagnostic trouble code is actually pretty serious, because it could prevent the vehicle from even starting.
Symptoms of a P0817 include:
- Engine won’t start
- Check engine light
- Bad fuse
- Bad battery and/or battery terminals
- Damaged wiring/connectors
- Faulty starter disable relay/neutral safety switch
- Failed starter relay
- Failed starter or starter solenoid
How to Diagnose the Code?
The simplest solution is often the best solution, so a mechanic should start to diagnose a P0817 OBDII trouble code by first checking the fuses, battery and battery terminals. Next, the wiring and connectors may need to be checked for signs of damage and corrosion. If no issues have been found, then the starter disable switch will need to be checked.
What Repairs Will Fix P0817?
- Replacing fuses, battery terminals and/or the battery
- Repair wiring/connectors
- Replace starter disable relay/neutral safety switch
- Replace starter relay starter or starter solenoid