4 Wheel Drive Doesn’t Work After Replacing Transmission

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert Toyota 4 Wheel Drive Doesn’t Work After Replacing Transmission

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Administrator5
    Keymaster

I am posting this here for Alex.

4-wheel drive does not engage after installing new transmission. 2013 Toyota Sequoia.

Hello all,
    Had to swap my transmission back in October. It was done by a local, reputable transmission shop. I should have checked the 4-wheel drive at the time when I picked up the vehicle. Now when I engage 4-wheel drive option, nothing works (as if I am in neutral gear). Placing the gear in reverse does not do anything either, but makes a horrendous humming noise. Dis-engaging the 4-wheel drive makes a noise with a loud bump. The normal operation otherwise OK, only 4-wheel drive does not work.

Tranny shop tells me it is NOT related issue. Is it possible they didn’t do something at the time of the transmission swap?

Thanks in advance

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

The tranny shop was right, it is not related to your Tacoma’s automatic transmission. The problem is in the differential. Toyota’s system, automatic differential disconnection (ADD), automatically disconnects the front drive shaft from the differential, sliding a sleeve over the end of the shaft. This effectively disconnects the front wheels from the four-wheel-drive system, leaving the truck in rear-wheel-drive only.

The ADD is activated by a system of solenoids and air switches. The solenoids fire the air switches that, in turn, move the sleeve either forward to disengage or back to engage.

What I has happened is that when they transmission shop did the work a vacuum line or a wiring harness was jarred lose or broken. If the problem is wiring then the solenoid will not fire. If the problem is in a vacuum line, the device will not activate. Either way, the four-wheel-drive system fried.

Here are some troubleshooting tips to pass along if your transmission tech isn’t a Toyota repair technician.

1. Check all vacuum lines for the condition of the hoses; their connection points
    and alignment — the hoses are color-coded and must line up correctly for proper
    operation.

2. Check the solenoids. Your technician must ground the hot wire to complete the circuit and
    cause it to fire so the solenoid fires. If the solenoid doesn’t fire, the air switch
    won’t engage and the four-by-four capability won’t engage.

3. Check the sleeves and any associated gearing to ensure they work smoothly.

Please let me know what happens.

aveksler
    Participant

Thanks very much for the input. I took it to the transmission shop and of course they are now telling me that after diagnosis they have determined that the installation of the transmission is not the problem. The transfer case has failed. There is metal in the fluid of the transfer case.
    The part could be ordered from the wrecking yard for a used transfer case and they can get one for $400. There is 8 hours of labor. Plus fluid.

I am looking at $1217 plus tax for this repair. UGH

Is it possible the transfer case failed exactly at the same time they swapped transmission? I feel I am being screwed.

Hostgator

Unfortunately, it’s a chicken-egg think, which came first? It’s tough to know which went when, but, suffice it to say that you know the problem now and it’s on the way to being fixed. Yes, the price is steep, but, once the second issue is fixed, you are good to go for a long while.

Good luck.

aveksler
    Participant

Thank you. Anything else I need to ask while it is being worked on? Like checking differential parts or other items that could be affected? Thanks in advance

dizzie
    Participant

Hi there!
    I have a 2006 Toyota Rav4… I got back into the car after it was parked idling for a few minutes and the gears would not engage. I left it off to call the shop and five about 10 minutes later I try it and it worked fine.

Fast forward to the next day on my way to the shop… was a bit draggy moving but got well UNTIL it just ‘slips’ into neutral (ie. still in drive but the gears would not engage). The back gear engaged with some effort when I tried.

What I did.
    Tried the ECU reset
    Called the technician in for a fluid change.

No lick. Next thing he suggests changing the transmission. I do not know but I feel convinced that it is an electrical issue.

Can you please tell me what else I can look out for before taking that option?

Thank you very much

Diz

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.