2010 Mustang Automatic. Dealer says I need new auto transmission.

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert Ford 2010 Mustang Automatic. Dealer says I need new auto transmission.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Janelle
    Participant

Hi. My pony (Standard 2010 V6) choked the other morning, just after I’d accelerated to pass someone. It just revved high and started coasting. A little light on the dash came on, looked like a wrench. I pulled into a parking lot and turned her off. When I restarted, the light was gone, but I had no reverse, no drive. I experimented and she would engage in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. It’s an auto so I was able to get her home.

I’ve taken very good care of this car. I’ve had it for about 2 years, regular maintenance etc. She has a little over 100k on her. I took her in for a state inspection day before yesterday. The car was perfect. I left the garage, I put gas in her. An odd thing happened then, she quit on me twice on the way home, but I thought maybe I’d gotten some substandard gas. She just turned off when I decelerated approaching a light. I parked her, then got up the next morning to head to the gym and she was fine. It was on my way there that all this happened.

I limped her back to the garage, a Firestone I’ve been going to for about 8 years, I trust them. They said the code that they got was P1700. They recommended I get her to a Ford dealer, so I did. Fird called back today, said there was nothing they could do, that the transmission “exploded” from the inside and it would cost 4k to replace. I’m concerned that the dealer is trying to manipulate me, because I’m a woman.

I read up on this p1700 and the symptoms don’t match what the dealer is telling me. I need some advice.
    They haven’t pulled anything apart, they said “The flow readings and symptoms tell us you need a new one, it’ll cost $3,948.44 . Forgive me if I’m a skeptic.

I have not had any issue at all with the car. I *am* an aggressive drive and once or twice in the past, but she’s always performed smoothly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

Here’s what happened the first time your Mustang Pony acted up: your transmission threw a soft code that wasn’t captured by your vehicles main electronic control module — soft errors are not meant to be captured in the first place. The problem that generated the soft effort then put your Pony into limp-home mode.

Limp-home mode deactivates most of the features of a transmission leaving only forward gearing so that your vehicle can “limp” home or to a repair facility. In this instance, though, the soft error also meant that the limp-home mode was activated so that you could get home. Since it was a soft error, the transmission reset which is why it was okay when you went in for the inspection.

Unfortunately, your transmission then went back into limp-home mode because the soft-code became a hard-code that was flashed and sent to the main electronic control module. In this case, though, there is a problem. It is likely with the one-way direct clutch. The one-way direct clutch helps to keep your transmission shifting smoothly and correctly.

If you think of the one-way direct clutch as “master” clutch in the transmission you can see its importance and why the dealer said that you need a new transmission. For you it is bad news, for the dealer it is good news because just by saying you need a new transmission they are going to whack your credit card for lots and lots of money and they are going to make a tidy sum as well. As it is always less expensive for a dealer to “diagnose and repair” a transmission by swapping in a rebuilt. Yes, it does take time to do this, but not nearly as long as it would take the dealer to do things correctly.

You see, the one-way direct clutch, which slows the overall transmission gearing so that the tranny can shift smoothly from one gear to the next, can be replaced. There are repair kits available for it. The thing of it is that there are so many other potential causes of the P1700 series code that it is much easier for the dealer to do the swap, as well.

You do have to diagnose and check each of the potential problems before you go ahead and swap out the one-way direct clutch and that does take time. To diagnose this problem correctly, the technician has to step through a series of tests to both of the transmission solenoids. They solenoids control the sequence of shifting as their action determines the order that specific clutches are activated. The problem might either be mechanical or electrical so each potentiality must be looked into. There are as many as eight different specific tests that have to be made.

In general, though, it is quite likely that once your technician has gone through the numbers, that it will turn out the one-way direct clutch that has to be replaced. You can certainly save a ton of money if you have your tech swap that particular part because it should cost about $1,400 to complete this repair. Or, you can listen to the dealer and swiftly replace the transmission and pay the $4,000 demanded by the dealer. What move would you make? I’s rather save $2,600 any day, wouldn’t you. Have the one-way direct clutch replaced and you should be all set.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.