2009 Kia Sportage not shifting from 3rd to 4th

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert Kia 2009 Kia Sportage not shifting from 3rd to 4th

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    validorn
    Participant

Hello,

I have a 2009 Kia Sportage 2wd 6 cylinder that will not shift from 3rd to 4th. The Kia has a little over 190,000 miles on it and to my knowledge the transmission has never been serviced. I know that I can change the transmission fluid in it myself, but the check engine light is not coming on. It does not shift rough or hard from any gear, it just simply will not shift into 4th. I am wondering if is could be the transmission solenoid going out or being dirty. I know either way I can I need to change the fluid in it. But my major question is, where in the world in the transmission solenoid located? I know it is in the transmission, but is it in some place that I can get to, or does the transmission have to come out and the solenoid replace by disassembling the transmission?

Thank you for your time.

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

This is a good news, bad news item. The good news is that one solenoid is usually accessible on the transmission’s valve body. The bad news is that the second on used is on the inside of the valve body. And, yes, getting to the solenoids means that you do have do some partial disassembly to get to the valve body and get the cover off.

Indeed, unless you are skilled at mechanical takedowns, then I would suggest taking the Sportage to an independent shop where a technician can handle the work.

Now, it is possible that you might get lucky and find that the solenoid on the outside of the valve body is the one you need. The reason being is that the solenoids are used together to determine the actual gear setting. For example, it is possible that the solenoid controlling first and third might be on the outside of the valve body while second and fourth may be on the inside of the valve body, but you can’t be sure of that. So, you will have to assume that if the problem is in the solenoids that you will have to do a minimal teardown to reach them.

I would recommend, though, that as I noted, the teardown work be left to a knowledgeable technician as they will make sure it is done quickly and properly unless you feel confident that you can do that work and that you have the tools, as well.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.