2009 Honda Odyssey Horrible Grinding Noise in Gears No Gears Work

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert Honda 2009 Honda Odyssey Horrible Grinding Noise in Gears No Gears Work

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    etmarnell
    Participant

Just happened tonight. Turning right onto a highway, then apply gas and a nasty grinding noise happened. Car stopped accelerating. Pulled over. When trying to shift into any gear, horrible grinding noise. No gears are working. Even shifting it into reverse and minivan won’t go backward. Any ideas?

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

I am afraid to tell you that the transaxle has gone. Everything you are telling me about the problem indicates that is the long and short of the issue.

A front-drive minivan uses a transaxle that combines the functions of both the front axle and transmission into one unit. Transaxles are much more complex that standard front axles because of the combination.

I would venture to guess that the torque converter went out first, just about the time you started turning onto the highway and the rest of the transmission followed like a house of cards. It might have started with a low fluid condition that caused the unit to fail or something like it. It might have been caused by a major blockage somewhere within the device. Either way, the effect is the same. Your Odyssey isn’t going anywhere too quickly.

Please understand that what I am about to suggest is to give you a complete picture of the issue. I am not suggesting that this is the case with your transmission at all. But, with that caveat said, you should be aware that it is possible that one or both of the half-shafts might also have been damaged because your wheel was likely cocked in one direction or the other so that the steering gear was engaged at the time of the failure.

In any case, you are looking at a repair that is likely to cost $4,000, if it involves one of the half-shafts, more if it involves both and about $2,800 to replace the transmission with a rebuilt unit.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.