2008 lincoln mkx: TSS/OSS sensors vs. transmission rebuild

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert Lincoln 2008 lincoln mkx: TSS/OSS sensors vs. transmission rebuild

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Temple46
    Participant

I have a 2008 Lincoln MKX that has had issues since I bought it used 5 years ago. It has been slipping out of gear, shifts hard, bucks when initially placed in reverse, etc. The issues are also increasing in frequency.
    A transmission shop confirmed slippage in 2-4th shift and bangs/delays reverse; internal failure code PO722/output speed sensor-no signal. Plan: new transmission
    Meanwhile, I discovered a service bulletin that notes that 2007-2008 MKX equipped with a 6F50 trans-axle with a build date prior to 10/21/17 with any Output Shaft Speed (OSS) sensor or Turine Shaft Speed (TSS) sensor diagnostic trouble codes P0715, P0717, P0718, P0720, P0721, P0722 and/or harsh engagements, no upshift, fifth gear only, could have an intermittent short in the OSS or TSS sensor.
    I looked into the price of the sensors ($50 online/ $110 retail) and went to a second mechanic to have the sensors changed. He stated that he could find no internal codes for the sensors but that the transmission needed to be rebuilt for $3000 plus tax.
    Should I get a 3rd opinion, insist that only the sensors be changed to start, or should I just replace/rebuild the transmission?
    Others online stated that the sensors were the problem.

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

The TSS/OSS service bulletin is what you should “listen” to and not someone trying to build business with $3,000 tranny rebuilds. Quite frankly, the sensor issue is quite well known and it is the first one I would have suggested when you indicated the error code.

It’s interesting that one of the mechanics noted he could find no codes when he scanned the system. I believe I know why. When you had the system scanned the first time and the 0722 code popped out, I believe the technician reset the engine control module (ECM) so that all error codes are cleared. Sometimes, if codes aren’t cleared, your vehicle can indicate there are problems when, in fact, everything has been cleaned up.

That’s why, I think, the tech did a reset to make sure that once any work was done (I am sure he was presuming there would be some substantive transmission work heading into one of the bays where he could make a few extra dollars) your vehicle would operate correctly and not throw false codes.

At least you can say the first tech did have a conscience.

My ultimate suggestion is go to a third shop — ask around work, if you don’t know of any shops, other than the first two, and have the sensors installed. I think you’ll find your Lincoln is going to feel a whole lot better and that it will operate quite nicely, as well.

Could you do me one favor? Please let me know the outcome. I do like to hear what happens.

Edge08
    Participant

I’m currently having the same problem with a 2008 Edge. I had a trans shop do a scan and it came back showing “no codes”. The shop owner said it was fine. (at a cost of $70)
    I discovered the issue of the TSS ans OSS sensors going bad on YouTube, and returned to the shop for an estimate. They said they would have to pull the trans and run about $2400! From what YouTube showed, that wasn’t necessary. I then called a Ford dealer and was told it would cost around $400 plus parts (sensors).
    Taking it to dealer next week

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.