2008 Camry delay downshift from overdrive!

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert Toyota 2008 Camry delay downshift from overdrive!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jpersichini
    Participant

When vehicle should downshift from overdrive is makes rumbling noise until slow speed, I can manually shift to 4th, is it a solenoid?

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

I don’t think it’s the solenoid for the following reason: when an electronic part like a solenoid breaks it usually happens all at once. If that were the case, then you wouldn’t be able to make the shift at all either getting into the gear or getting out of it.

I know this sounds like a cop-out, but I have to ask you how long has it been since your last transmission fluid check? If the fluid is down a quart of so then parts of your transmission, such as the torque converter or planetary gear chain may be high and dry, relying on brief spurts of high-pressure coverage from the transmission (transmissions do operate under pressure and at times can build extra pressure within the case as they try to make up for fluid that is not there). It’s not a good idea to let this last very long.

I would get the car into a good independent transmission shop and have the current fill of transmission fluid drained and refilled. While the transmission fluid is drained, I would also have the transmission filter swapped out and replaced to keep things working smoothly. Be sure to have the technician drop the transmission fluid pan cover to empty the last half-a-quart or so that always remains within the case. Then, after putting the cover back on with the proper gasketing, of course, the tech should replace the fluid with the proper fluid for your transmission. You will find that listed in the owner’s manual. Never let the transmission be overfilled because there will be too much pressure within the tranny and nasty things can happen.

Let me know what happens, I’d like to hear the results.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.