2006 Sierra 5.3L 4165e High RPM from 2nd to 3rd

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert GMC 2006 Sierra 5.3L 4165e High RPM from 2nd to 3rd

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    bmaleman
    Participant

Hi,
    I have a 2006 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 with a 4165e transmission. I replaced the motor this past weekend, myself, with a create motor purchased at my local GM dealership. (Piston 7 connecting rod exploded). So all I did was unbolt the old motor and rebolt the new motor to the transmission. I used the GM spec torque on all 3 of the Flex Plate bolts to the torque converter. Shouldn’t be any issues, right? Wrong.

I dont have any issues in 1st gear or in second. But when the transmission shifts from 2nd to third.. The engine will rpm thru the roof and will not grab 3rd until I let my foot off of the gas and the motor’s rpm drops to about 2ooo.

It also smells like I’m burning a clutch even though its an automatic. When I pull the dipstick and smell it, it smells like a clutch.

Could I possibly have a bad transmission that just so happens to have gone out as the same exact time as the engine? Could I have missed a step in the installation process? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.