2006 fiesta style clutch or gearbox ?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    grant
    Participant

My Ford Fiesta make a loud grinding wen when setin off and driving but when I push clutch in the noise stops 1 day it will not make the noise at all an be fine then the next day it will make the grinding noise at first it was making the noise in 1st 2nd 3rd an 5th but when I went into 4th the noise stopped and other days it would not make the noise in any gear but from yesterday the car will go into 1st 2nd fine sometimes I manage to get in 3rd but have to constant hold gear stick in place or pops out it won\\\’t go in 4 the or 5 the now at all but I been told so many different things like need new gear box,fly wheel, fly wheel Spring, clutch slave. Linkage. Release bearing, selector cables, anyone any idea ?

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

I don’t think it’s the throwout bearing because you would’t be able to shift into any gear correctly if it was and there would be considerable slippage, nor do I think you need a new gearbox. If you did, again, you wouldn’t be able to shift most of the time and, if you did shift, you’d only have one or two gears, at most.

If your problem was the flywheel or the clutch plate then your transmission would be slipping like crazy, if you were able to get it into gear in the first place. And, if it were the linkages your Fiesta wouldn’t get into gear at all. The same is true with linkages and the rest.

What I think is happening is something that you haven’t mentioned. Normally, when you shift a dog collar slides forward to provide the initial linkage between shift. If the dogs don’t seat correctly (it’s just a place with gear cutouts), then you will find that your Fiesta will hop out of gear and that you may have to hold the shifter as you work through the gears.

Given the fact that your Fiesta is a decade old, I would suggest you swap out the transmission for a new one, if you can afford it. As you correctly noted there are lots of potential problems that can crop up when you work on a transmission. And, even though I am pretty certain of the cause of your Fiesta’s problem, you do have to realize that even if you fixed that problem, you might be introducing other problems due to the fix (other parts change and may weaken in situations like this, leading to continuing problems). So, rather than taking that chance, it’s best to cut bait and let things go by replacing the transmission entirely. You’ll have fewer headaches, in the long run. Of course, the cost will be in the $2,400 range, but, that’s not bad, all things considered, especially if you try to chase down and fix recurring individual problems.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.