2002 VW GTI automatic

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Administrator5
    Keymaster

Posting this for Jenni Kelleher.

Help! Bought this used, 145,000 or so miles for $4500 cash, tax, tags, title in Nov 2012. 3 weeks in seemed to slip gears, so waited until it warmed up, would skip here and there but was manageable. Work is only 30 min walk from my house.

Skip to June ’13, car goes from 1st to a lower, crawl type gear, rpms close to red lining, paid cash, as is, took to vw dealership, was told needs transmission replace/rebuild, new $6,475, used. $5,300, reminder, paid $4500, need this like a hole in the head, frustrated beyond belief. Help!!

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Administrator5
    Keymaster

Hi Jenni,

I’m sorry to hear about your car troubles, you’re definitely in a tough situation especially since the car has only lasted a few months. Based on the age and how much you paid, a rebuild or replacement might not make financial sense and you might have to consider buying another used car to replace the GTI.

That said, you should be able to find an independent mechanic in your area who is willing to replace or rebuild the trans for half the amount they quoted you. Products and services provided by dealerships are always overpriced (you are paying for the brand) and definitely unnecessary for a 10+ year old car. And as always, I advise getting an estimate from more than one shop in your area and to get recommendations from family/friends so that you have information to based your final decision on.

Hope this helps!

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.