2002 Subaru Impreza wrx

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jadalynn111
    Participant

So I’ve had this Subaru Impreza for about 3 months it has 162,000 miles, lately I’ve noticed it lagging when I go into reverse or drive it takes a second to go not all the time but sometimes, today when I was trying to leave I put it in reverse and it wouldn’t go at all, i haven’t checked the transmission fluid since I’ve had it only the oil.

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

By all means, check out the transmission fluid level as soon as you can because that is likely the problem you are having. Or, at least, from a first viewing of your problem that’s what is going on.

The clues that tell me this is likely the problem are really simple to see. There’s a slight lag when going into reverse; drive is taking a longer time to lock up, and you lost reverse once.

What is happening is simply this: Because the fluid level is down a bit, the transmission has to work harder to bring the fluid up to pressure that is needed now to make the transmission work properly. Normally, the transmission fluid doesn’t have to have the pressure increased because it bathes every device within the transmission housing. Howeve, if the fluid drops a bit, the tranny tries to compensate and the internal pressure increases as a matter of course.

At times, when the pressure isn’t high enough, some gears or the vanes on the torque converter turbine are left high-and-dry and the transmission won’t work. At other times, such as on a hard corner, your devices can actually have the tranny fluid peeled away to cause problems.

So, check the tranny fluid level and be sure to see whether your Subaru is down just a bit — which I suspect it is — or whether it is a larger amount. Then, add the proper transmission fluid (check your owner’s manual for the proper type) until it reaches “FULL” on the dipstick.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.