2002 Odyssey Bad Bearing Causing Whining

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert Honda 2002 Odyssey Bad Bearing Causing Whining

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Administrator5
    Keymaster

I am posting this here for Gail.

I have a 2002 Honda Odyssey. The transmission has a whining noise when I drive it. The local dealership said it has a bad bearing in the transmission. They said they did not open automatic transmissions and it would cost $2680. Can this be fixed rather than buying a new or rebuilt transmission and at what cost?

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Administrator5
    Keymaster

First of all, I highly suggest you get the problem diagnosed by at least 2 other mechanics/service centers. This will give you options to compare and verify what the problem is. Dealerships are typically overpriced (you are paying for the brand name) and usually unnecessary for a 10+ year old car. Simply saying that “do not” open automatic transmissions should be a warning sign that they aren’t willing to do smaller, lower cost repairs.

If the problem is indeed just a bad bearing, then a full replacement isn’t necessary. The cost depends on the type of bearing causing the problem. If it is a differential bearing for example, you should be able to get the repairs done for around $1600 give or take a couple hundred. That said, if other problems are found within your transmission during the process, the final cost could inflate significantly.

Have you (or the dealership) tried changing the transmission fluid? Doing so could solve the problem or at least make driving easier on the transmission until you get it fixed.

ellarich
    Blocked

Dealerships are generally the best places; they have access to the entire problem.

Administrator5
    Keymaster

Response from Gail:

A few days after I received your email I took my car into a francise transmission shop. I asked to have the transmission fluid changed. They told me that could make the problem worse. They drove the car and told me to continue to drive it until I started having problems with it. I then went to a local mechanic that has a good reputation. I talked with one of his employees and she agreed with the francise about the transmission fluid change and told me the mechanic didn’t have the time to look at it and said he would call me. He hasn’t called but I still would like to talk with him since he has such a good reputation. I have since felt the transmission slip a couple of times. It happens when it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear.

Administrator5
    Keymaster

Thanks for the update. Did the mechanic end up calling you back? Did you tell them that it’s slipping and that you’ve “started having problems with it”.

Are you low on fluid? If you are it could be due to a leak and is probably the cause of the slipping. Check the fluid level and top it up if it’s low.

There are two opinions on whether or not you should change the fluid on a high mileage (possibly neglected) vehicle:

1) Changing it will not cause the transmission to fail because it was going to anyway.

2) If you wait too long you should not change the fluid because it could cause the transmission to fail.

What is the mileage on your Odyssey and how long has it been since the last fluid change? What does the fluid look/smell like? If the fluid is very old or never been changed, burnt and contaminated, the damage might already be done to the transmission and you should just keep topping it up as it is only a matter of time before it fails. Changing the fluid won’t work miracles on an already damaged transmission (which yours probably is since the gears are slipping).

That said, there is an opposing opinion that says new fluid cannot harm a transmission/cause it to fail and that the “don’t change the fluid if it’s high mileage” is an old wives tale. If the tranny does fail after the change, it isn’t the fault of the new fluid, despite what the shops might say or what you read online. The transmission was going to die anyway as a result of the damage done due to long-term neglect. The shop and mechanic you have been talking to probably want to avoid this situation, as most people would blame them for “killing” their transmission.

Try asking them if they are speaking from personal experience (they’ve changed the fluid on a number of high mileage vehicles which have broken down shortly after) OR if they are simply reciting something they *believe* to be true. Ask them to back up their answer with good reasons.

If you do choose to have the fluid changed, make sure it is a CHANGE and not a high pressure FLUSH and that you get a new filter put in at the same time. A flush forces the old fluid out with pressure which could cause sludge and particles to get lodged in places they shouldn’t be and cause the transmission to fail or breakdown faster. As always, be sure to follow the recommendations found in your owner’s manual as the the type of fluid to use, etc.

Hope this helps, and keep me posted!

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.