2001 toyota camry 3.0 automatic transmission will not go into any gear

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert Toyota 2001 toyota camry 3.0 automatic transmission will not go into any gear

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    tofats
    Participant

hi there
    my wife was driving here 2001 toyota camry with the 3.0 motor and automatic trans
    with 200.000 miles on it
    and there is no motor check/repair lights on
    and she stoped at a light and when the light turned green the car never moved like it was in park.
    there in no movement at all in any gears. the fluid is good and full and not burned and the trans was servesed about 8 mo’s ago when i had the oil changed. when she called me about it at first i was thing it was a broke drive axle because she said there is no movement in any gears at all.
    the when i got the i looked and there was no broke axles.
    i just started the car again after it sat for about 3 hours and put it in to gear and hit the gas and the RPM gos up but it still sounds like it is in park and i know that the shifter is working good and the off and on O/D button works when i click it.
    the road is clear and dry and she was driving about 40 MPH and she let off the gas coming down a small hill and stoped at the bottom at a red light and the the light turned green the she said that she went to take off and she said that is sound like it was in park becouse it would not move at all but it will roll when she took her foot off the brake.
    it will not even try to move at all in any gear.
    please let me know what you think about it.

thank you very much

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

Having gone over the 12 or so possible causes of your Camry’s problem and having re-read your description, I have to think that the problem is with the torque converter. In order for the Camry to suddenly stop moving in traffic, it has to be that particular device. You see, when the torque converter goes it is a sudden failure, just as you described.

The torque converter is the first step in your transmission’s actions. Taking the power from the input shaft before it splits off to power other devices, as well, the torque converter spins up and starts moving the transmission fluid throughout the case. Without it working, setting up the current, so to speak, your transmission doesn’t work.

Now, it is entirely possible that your transmission filter could be plugged up, preventing the flow of transmission fluid. There’s really no way to see if this is the case, other than draining the fluid, dropping the tranny cover, making sure there’s a bucket underneath to catch any drips, and locating the filter to check it. You can do this work to save a few dollars as it is straightforward and only involves a wrench (10 mil or so), the bucket, new gasketing to seat the pan correctly when you sock it up and the proper amount of transmission fluid.

With that said, I honestly think your primary candidate is the torque converter, in this case. If it is the torque converter, your best bet is to insert a rebuilt transmission (transaxle, really) in place of the old one because it is a major repair and a new converter, if that is the only device swapped out, could start putting higher pressure levels on other components that may be marginal, pushing them over the edge. The rebuilt transmission will cost about $3,400.

tofats
    Participant

ok
    thank you very much

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.