2001 cavalier 4t40e, weak 1 to 2 shift

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ken2680
    Participant

i have a 2001 cavalier 4t40e (no fluid dipstick) …. it took me 2b months to realize that the tps sensor was causeing the tcc lock up silenoid to engauge… bout twice a day the trac off light would come on and it would slam into 1st and 2nd gear if i tried to drive it… everytime the light come on or i felt the hard shift , i just stopped and pulled the fuse to reset the computer and i could drive agian…. i got that issue fixed with a new tps sensor (after changeing the speed sensor and running direct wires to computer bI-passing the wiring harness- hopeing on a short – couldnt pull the correct obd code cause everytime it faulted i pulled the fuse and reset it it **useless run-on info)…. anyways here is my question – im assumeing, that due to the 50 or so hard shifts, the transmission is now slightly, barely noticeable , starting to get wat i would describe as a weak 1st to 2nd gear shift (like maybe shifting at a slightly higher rpm)…. it has not slipped at all and its not in any other gear shifts…. this is the only issue i can notice and its faint…..i changed the filter and fluid 35,000 miles ago and was thinking bout changeing it agian — there is no fluid level dipstick, so changeing fluid would also insure correct fluid level….WOULD CHANGING THE FILTER AND FLUID AGIAN, OR CHANGING ANY OF THE SILENOIDS OR ANYTHING HELP FIX THAT WEAK 1 TO 2 SHIFT ?? ( PRESSURE CONTROLL SILENOID, OR 1-2 SILENOID , OR ???? ) ??????…. I CAN GET THE SIDE PAN OFF AND SILENOIDS CHANGED , BUT I DONT THINK ITS WORTH COMPLETELY REMOVING OR COMPLETELY REBUIDING THE TRANSMISSION..

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

ken2680
    Participant

btw… the transmission on my cavalier has 160,000 miles on it….thou it looked pretty clean (not fresh or new, jus clean considering it had 130,000 miles… jus a smear of gunk and 4 or 5 lil specs of shavings on magnet the last time i changed it…. nothing bad

Hostgator

I think you have pretty much outlined what you have to do. I don’t think the hard shifts have damaged anything permanently. Your transmission is made to put up with a certain amount of daily wear and tear and hard use and hard-shifting falls within that description so I don’t think you need invest in a rebuilt.

I do think, though, that from the sound of the symptoms that swapping out the solenoid packs is warranted and if you can get easy access to them, I’d say go for it. Since you have already fixed the major problem (the sensor), fixing the secondary ones is now in order.

Once you’ve done this, I believe you’ll find the transmission works quite well. And, you have saved yourself more than $2,500 because you didn’t have to put in a rebuilt.

ken2680
    Participant

When i replace the fluid, filter, 1-2 solenoid, 2-3 solenoid, pressure controll solenoid, and the TCC PWM seloniod is there anything else i should replace while doing it?

ken2680
    Participant

should i replace the presure switch manifold ?

Hostgator

My thinking on this is that if you are replacing everything in an electronic chain, then you have to replace all of the components at the same time. It doesn’t do much good if you replace four or five items and leave the sixth only to have the sixth fail when you put everything back together.

I would also suggest, if you can, swapping out the TCM (tranmission control module) and any related sensors such as the MAF (Manifold Air Flow) and the MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) plus the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and the shaft speed and wheel speed sensors. The reason is that your Cavalier has 160,000 miles on it and it is more than 16 years old, not exactly new. Each of the sensors has lots of miles on them and they will likely be points of fialure sooner rather than later, especially if you swap out other sensors and the TCM.

Once you have everything installed and the tranny is buttoned up let me know how things are going.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.