2000 Nissan Xterra Transmission Slipping

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert Nissan 2000 Nissan Xterra Transmission Slipping

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Administrator5
    Keymaster

“I am posting this here for Matt Agee .”

I have a 2000 Nissan Xterra. Just recently it starts ‘slipping‘ while I am driving. If there is a load on the engine (going uphill) it is fine as well as coasting without my foot on the gas, but when I have trying to keep a constant speed on the high way it is almost like it jumps back into a lower gear and the RPM skyrocket. Then it will bounce around for a minute and go back to where it should be on the RPM. When it revs, though, it does not accelerate as if it has shifted into neutral. No clue what to do

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

There are two possible troublespots, though, it is most likely to be this one: low transmission fluid. It sounds as if your Xterra has a case of low-fluiditis (pardon the pun) and little more, though, if you don’t fix this problem you will likely have something far worse in the near future.

Assuming this is the case, which it most likely is, the problem is that your transmission’s fluid level is down only slightly, say half-a-quart or so. You can easily remedy this problem by adding new transmission fluid (check your owner’s manual for the correct part number; each automaker uses a special transmission fluid for its own automatics) in the proper amount and no more. Too much transmission fluid raises pressure and all kinds of havoc with the tranny.

To get a precise fluid level, just follow these steps:

1. Park on a flat area
    2. Set the parking brake
    3. Start or restart the Xterra and let it run for 20 minutes to achieve operating temperature (alternatively you can drive for 15 minutes)
    4. Holding the brake for added safety put your Xterra in gear and run it through each gear for a moment to assure proper fluid infiltration in the transmission
    5. Find and remove the transmission fluid dipstick
    6. Clean it and reinsert it into the automatic transmission fluid filler neck (where you removed it)
    7. Remove the dipstick again, taking are to do it with as straight a motion as possible (to prevent smudging the sample)
    8. Read the fluid level, using the HOT marks (there are two sets; HOT is preferred); chances are you will see it down slightly
    9. Slowly add fluid to the transmission through the filler neck taking care to check often to be sure you are not overfilling. On reaching the full line, stop
    10. Replace the dipstick and you are finished with this task

As you can see, it is an easy task. It just requires a little steadiness and patience. You will achieve your result.

The other area that might be troublesome, and which spells a large bill, is the torque converter. From the description you give, though, this is unlikely.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.