2000 Nissan quest with automatic transmission

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert Nissan 2000 Nissan quest with automatic transmission

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Matthew
    Participant

I have a 2000 Nissan quest with automatic transmission I was driving in drive came up to a stop, almost complete stop when my son moved my gear lever from drive to reverse and I heard a loud bang and then i quickly moved it back but then my car won’t move in any gear R,N,D,2,L it does not go

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

I don’t know how to tell you this gently, but your automatic transmission has gone on to its earthly rewards. The seemingly innocent shift from drive to reverse put so much stress on the transmission that one or more major systems have given up and stopped working. At a guess, I think the torque converter is gone, as are the clutches and bands and, as a topper, I think the planetary gearing aren’t in their orbits anymore. I don’t want to think what may have happened to the other parts of the transmission.

Suffice it to say, your Nissan won’t be going anywhere for a while, unless it is on a ramp truck to a service shop. Your only course of action is replacing the transmission with a rebuilt, for starters. That will cost you about $3,400.

Also, you are going to have to have the technician pay close attention to the input and output shafts. It is possible that the reverse torque that happened may have thrown them “out of true.” In other words, instead of working correctly, they are kind of wobbly and that means all kinds of nasties can happen. A wobbling shaft can set up a set of vibrations that cannot only damage linked components but, worst case, can destroy them. The good news is that you did quickly get back into the proper gear. The bad news is that it happened in the first place.

Hostgator

I don’t know how to tell you this gently, but your automatic transmission has gone on to its earthly rewards. The seemingly innocent shift from drive to reverse put so much stress on the transmission that one or more major systems have given up and stopped working. At a guess, I think the torque converter is gone, as are the clutches and bands and, as a topper, I think the planetary gearing aren’t in their orbits anymore. I don’t want to think what may have happened to the other parts of the transmission.

Suffice it to say, your Nissan won’t be going anywhere for a while, unless it is on a ramp truck to a service shop. Your only course of action is replacing the transmission with a rebuilt, for starters. That will cost you about $3,400.

Also, you are going to have to have the technician pay close attention to the input and output shafts. It is possible that the reverse torque that happened may have thrown them “out of true.” In other words, instead of working correctly, they are kind of wobbly and that means all kinds of nasties can happen. A wobbling shaft can set up a set of vibrations that cannot only damage linked components but, worst case, can destroy them. The good news is that you did quickly get back into the proper gear. The bad news is that it happened in the first place.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.