2000 Neon Won't go into park

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Barqs
    Participant

I put a new engine in my neon and made an oops. While trying to disconnect the linkage I removed the “E” clip and the linkage shaft dropped into the trans-axle “ALMOST” to the point that I could not grasp it and lift it back up…ALMOST. I was able to pull it back up and reinstall the “E” clip. But now I can’t get the trans-axle to go into park. I do not have any diagrams to figure out what I could have messed up and don’t know how to go about solving this one. This is a definite “DIY” job but I need some help. what can you suggest?

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

When you had the big oops, I believe that you damaged the gear train that allows you to set the gears. If the gear train is damaged — bent or knocked out of line — then you will likely lose at least one gear or maybe more. In your Neon’s case, it is a bit more serious because you cannot get the vehicle to go into Park. The result being that the engine and transmission will remain engaged and the potential for a crash and injuries increases.

With that said, I think it is time to turn to the professionals for help. From my vantage point on the other side of your screen, I cannot tell whether the train is damaged beyond use or whether a little judicious tinkering with a hammer on the gear train will put things back in order.

Like as not, you are looking at about a $1,200 investment added on to the work you have already done. I wish I could have had better news for you.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.