1999 VW Jetta Transmission Trouble

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    summer918
    Participant

I have a 99 VW Jetta. Its an automatic. I have been having high RPMs when shifting into another gear. sometimes I really have to rev the engine to get it to shift or I have to take my foot off the gas to get it to shift. Im assuming its a transmission issue. Which would be a better choice rebuild or replace? Or could it be as simple as getting the fluid checked and replaced? I read that with my VW you have to go to a mechanic and have them check and change the transmission fluid.

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

It sounds like your VW is exhibiting a more than a bit of transmission slippage. You can tell that the transmission is slipping because of the high engine rpms and the weird shifting pattern (lifting off to get the Jetta into gear or really revving the engine to get it to engage).

Slipping could be caused by badly worn bands or a worn clutch pack or badly worn gearing, or it could be combination of all three. Or, it may just be the result of a severely clogged automatic transmission fluid filter.

Whatever the ultimate cause, slipping is one of the most troubling problems to track down. It usually indicates your transmission needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

Which one should you choose? Have a trained technician teardown the transmission to see if there are many good parts that can be reused and how many parts have to be replaced. If you can save a number of parts — which will save you money — then a rebuild is a good idea as you only need to replace the parts that have to be changed. If, however, the technician finds that there isn’t much that can be saved, then a replacement is in order.

A rebuilt will cost you between $2,000 and $2,500 while a replacement will cost you about $3,000 with labor.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.