1998 Honda Prelude – Replacement vs Rebuild Kit

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert 1998 Honda Prelude – Replacement vs Rebuild Kit

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Administrator5
    Keymaster

Afternoon, I have a few questions to ask. I have a 1998 honda prelude base model. the car has 222,000 miles. The engine and transmission to the best of my knowledge have both been with the car the entirety of that milage. the reverse gear in the automatic sport shift transmission is out, it does not work, when I put the transmission in reverse it grinds like there is no gear there. and sometimes after rolling backwards on a hill to back up, and moving the shifter from neutral to drive, the entire car jerks.

I have been doing some research and was able to find a replacement transmission for around $700 and some thing which includes shipping. but I’m lost on the whole time and cost it would take to removed the transmission and then swap it for the one furnished by me. I have also considered that since the current one inside the car is already running, but needs a minor repair, (reverse gear) I had also looking into the master rebuild kit. which comes complete will all the o-rings, gaskets, and clutch and friction plates. That is priced a little over $200.

The main thing I am after is to fix the transmission to outlast me….literally. im wanting to keep the car for as long as possible. Can you please help me in deciding the best course to take with the cost of labor and how much rebuilt trans or replacing the trans would cost? I live in somerset ky, and honestly don’t trust a lot of the local shops around here because of all the shoty and shady work that is done. I’m just wanting to make sure that my car is well taken care of and fixed right the first time and not going to cost me thousands of dollars more for me in the long run. So in short, can you please help guide me in the right direction?

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

I have to be honest with you and warn you that replacing reverse only with a kit is not the best way to go for a very simple reason. Once you put the new gearing in place, since it is not part of the original transmission, you are going to stress the forward gears (I think there were five in that particular year and model). The result will likely be the loss of one or more of the gears that are working right now.

Really, that’s not what you want. And, when you are finished replacing the gears that may be chewed up after the reverse kit is installed, you will find that you have replaced everything in the tranny case, anyway.

That would be all five forward gear and reverse. It is also likely that you will have to replace the clutch, clutch plate, throwout bearing, neutral-start switch, the pressure plate, as well as the friction plate and, perhaps, the synchronizers.

And, you know how this will all likely play out? It’s not that everything will fail at once. No, they will fail at different times so that you might have to make the same repairs over and over again, although you may get lucky and only have the specific gears fail. Total cost of this piecemeal approach is $200 or so for the gearing kit and parts and another $600 or so for labor (I’m assuming four hours of work billed at $143 per hour — rates do vary across the country, so I am using an average. That puts the total outlay at $4,000 ($800 X 5).

Now, doesn’t it make sense to use the replacement part you found? Let’s say you have the $700 replacement and you have to pay $200 in shipping. The total for the replacement — where you get everything done at once — $900, plus labor (we’ll call it a day at $143 or 8 X $143) or about $1,132.

If you can do the work yourself it’s even better because your only cost is the $900 for shipping and the device. Still, replacing the tranny and paying for a full day still saves you about $2,000. It’s substantial.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.