1997 VW Cabrio $900 Labor to Replace Used Transmission

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert Volkwagen 1997 VW Cabrio $900 Labor to Replace Used Transmission

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Administrator5
    Keymaster

I am posting this here for sisdamart

I went to a shop in Hollister after a 97 VW Cabrio tranny went out! less than two weeks ago , they worked with my boyfriend , his understanding was a rebuilt granny would be placed in, the shop was aware the used tranny was making the noise in reverse and told me that I “just take my chance” with a used – however they called the company they bought it from and they came over and drove it too hearing the noise. I was from out of town so they wanted another week to find another used transmission. my boyfriend took the car in frustration and the hollister shop said they would replace the damaged part with labor cost only. the part was 575$ and the labor $900 – they want me to pay the $900 labor when they find the new tranny. is this correct? she said a used transmission is not warrantied! I’m not happy I have to drive back 3 hours to get it replaced at my cost! please my one comment will this bad trans ruin my clutch?

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

To answer your question about the clutch first. With what you are telling me about the condition of the transmission, I suspect that they will keep things the same on the clutch side of things. That is, your clutch, throwout bearing, actuators and the clutch plate are likely to stay the same, since they seem to be trying to keep things as cost-effective as possible for you (you did say they were repairing your old transmission to keep your car rolling until they found a replacement, right). That said, I think most of the pieces of your clutch will be okay.

Now, as to your main question. You are actually working with two different issues here. The first is the older or used transmission for which they found a part that was used to keep your Cabrio rolling. Indeed, $1,475 to replace the part is relatively reasonable given the possible costs you are facing with any transmission.

The $900 labor charge is for the replacement transmission, the second issue here. The total cost is about $2,375 or the replacement cost for a multi-speed manual (I think your Cabrio had a five-speed, if memory serves me correctly). Now, here’s the interesting thing. You didn’t indicate there would be any more than a $900 cost for the replacement tranny, so I believe that they are giving you a credit for the device itself. They can’t discount the labor, though, as the shop does have to make a bit of money to enable it to pay things like bills.

And, no I don’t think the labor charge for the replacement transmission is too high. If anything, it is lower than some costs I have seen lately.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.