1997 Ford Ranger problems

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Aviana
    Participant

Hi. I have been experiencing a few problems with my truck lately. Today, on the way to work, I was pulling out of my parking space in reverse when all of a sudden my truck braked hard. Now, mind you, I never pushed on the brake, but I did question myself, that is until it happened again. While I was waiting at the light, it turned green and i put my gear into 1st and it did it again, and then again and again. I was so confused, and scared hoping I wouldn’t cause an accident due to my truck braking on its own. Also, I have noticed that my gear would not go into 4th gear at all. And when I parked the truck, I could smell a burning smell. Can someone please tell me if they know what may be going on. Thank you in advance.

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

It sounds like your Ranger has hiccuped and has gone into limp-home mode. In limp-home mode a vehicle loses lots of transmission functionality. Most of the time, you only have access to a gear forward and reverse, in most cases. Limp-home is there to enable you to limp to a service center so that your transmission issues can be diagnosed and fixed. Limp-home is activate when your truck’s computer control module sense a major issue with a device. The device — transmission — should have thrown an error code to the control module for storage. If you can obtain and OBD-II diagnostic reader, plug it into the tester inlet and read the codes that it finds. The chances are very good you will find a transmission-related code. The transmission error code will give you a general picture of where to look first.

This is all great in theory. It does work most of the time. However, there are those times when there is no error code and you Ranger goes into limp-home mode. To hazard a guess as to where the problem is, look in the following places:

• Solenoids: Your truck’s automatic transmission is equipped, at a minimum, with two solenoids that fire the gears. The firing order is determined by the control computer module (central computer). One solenoid will fire for first, a second will fire for second gear, both will fire for third and none will fire for fourth or reverse. The choice is determined by the transmission control module.
    • Torque converter: It is possible that one of the impeller blades is damaged. This damage can be enough to cause problems with the flow of transmission fluid to and through the entire housing. Having this item checked requires a major commitment as the transmission will need to be torn down pretty completely to get to and inspect the torque converter.
    • Clutch packs/bands: It is possible that the clutch packs, the devices that allow your truck to move from gear to gear smoothly, without damage, may be slipping and causing the problem. If this is the problem, look for band issues, as well. They operate in tandem.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.