1995 Chrysler LHS – limp mode

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    kateelol
    Participant

Can you tell me if installing a rebuilt transmission would remedy the issue I am having with my car going into limp mode caused by a wire in the housing grounding out? As finding the problem with the TCU signal is too labor intensive (and therefore costly), would not the easier method be to install a rebuilt transmission? Or would the same issue be present (wire in the housing grounding out) after installing another transmission? [I am guessing, but believe, the cause of this issue a newly installed Auto Zone right front axle assembly came apart while driving and I heard a terrible metal on metal grinding screeching sound. I saw the axle assembly had ripped apart and there were shredded parts strew about the radiator, axle, etc. Could this not have done something to the electrical wiring/functioning? I am hoping that a rebuild will take care of such a wiring issue. Thank you for any advice.

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

Here’s my take on this problem, when your wheel shattered and sent metal all over the place, it may not only have taken out the wiring you mentioned, but also some sensors. Though things may seem as if they now working well — except, of course, for the transmission — I don’t think that is necessarily the case.

Here’s why: when the wheel came apart, it is quite likely that not only were the sensors associated with the particular axle destroyed but there were also other sensors that were downstream (or upstream) of those devices that were also harmed, possibly by metal-to-metal contact or by electrical differences or shorts. The electrical differences could have been shorts or opens or overvoltages that caused devices in the path to fail. The thing of it here is that your engine and transmission — with the exception of limp-home — are quite happy with things as they are so it seems is if there are no other problems, though there may be. Only a diagnostic with an OBD-II scanner will tell you where there may be other problems, waiting to jump out.

Now, it is quite possible that you are right in your analysis of the cause of the limp-home issues with your Chrysler, however, I don’t think so.

Honestly, I think you are seeing the results of the problem we have been discussing. When the wheel had its catastrophic failure, it is quite likely that sensors that report to the Transmission Control Unit (TCU) were knocked out.

Since the TCU can’t sense them as available and receive their information, it is very possible that either the TCU or engine control unit (ECU) logged them as unavailable and put your Chrysler into limp-home mode.

Another potential cause of the issue is unseen damage to a key wire loom. One wire or another that is needed to send information to the TCU or ECU may be damaged or destroyed, putting your Chrysler into limp-home.

Suffice it to say, any or all of the problems we have discussed could be causing your problem.

So, do you need a new transmission? Quite possibly, a piece of metal could have shredded some wiring in an area you can’t easily find and the wiring and voltages may be so thoroughly out of whack that the only thing that will fix it is a rebuilt. But, I don’t think so, honestly.

I think that what you need is the diagnostic scan and I think, as I have noted, you will find that other areas are involved. If there are other places involved, I would think it likely that if you have them repaired, you will find the problems clear up and your transmission will work correctly. In this way, you may be able to save yourself thousands.

Don’t forget, too, that though you may replace the transmission, if you don’t repair broken wires or other problems that you still can’t see, though you do have some pointers, then you may likely have similar problems. Let me know what happens.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.